Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

suspension teflon, delrin, or hard plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension teflon, delrin, or hard plastic?

Hello
anyone used any of the above materials and can comment on them?
rear spring plates, front suspension and sway bars.

Poly-Graphite plastic
Teflon
Delrin

price?
performance?
Noice?
Durability?
I do not want metal so one of the above must be .

Konstantin
Old 06-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used Polyurethane and PolyGraphite Urethane, as well as rubber and Delrin, and would choose Delrin AF over everything.

Delrin AF has the highest price, best performance (it's Teflon-impregnated, has most of the Cf of Teflon while gaining durability of Delrin binding), no noise whatsoever, which I can't say about either of the PolyUrethanes (graphite or no, graphite does make less noise), and best durability. Not being able to find out exactly what grade Delrin most parts are made of, you'll probably be stuck with plain Delrin for most, still a better choice than your other alternatives.

Sam
Old 06-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How about polybronze and weather sealed monoball. Cool stuff.

Check out this web site www.elephantracing.com

Currently he only makes this for 911. I spoke to him last week and he plans to eventually make this product for 944's, time allowing (read not soon). Maybe if enough of us show interest, he will excellerate production of a 944 kit. This is the product I want to use on my suspension.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Whenever possible I stick to urethanes of some hardness for bushings, as they still have some compliance that will distribute the stress they see from the very small relative movement of the two components they join.

Going to harder plastics or metals will create a friction bearing surface, typically with the smaller diameter mounting bolt that over time can wear and the stress at the mating surface could also be high enough for plastic deformation. Both mechanisms can over time create annoying knocking and clicking sounds.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Paragon's INNER delrin bushings because the greater surface area and primarily axial loads. Eventhough my PS pump and rack have been rebuilt and crappy hoses replaced, the sight and handling of what were probably the stock bushings marinaded in PS fluid convinced me the additional cost was worth it.

And she handles sooooo much better.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody ever see Delrin fail? I stay with poly as a preference, as it deforms when it gets weak, rather than fails catastrophically (read - breaks in half or pieces)...I haven't seen it too frequently with Delrin, but once was one time too many.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:22 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the "heads up" Jason
Old 06-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Dave E
Pro

I put Racer's Edge Delrin inner and outer bushings in the rear spring plates. Other than the lengthy and tedious fitting process I have been very happy with them so far,(only five track days). the rubbing of the tire on the spring plate in high G corners like the bowl at NHIS is gone (the stock rubber allowed even the spring plate to rub on the bushing housings. I was only running 255 Kuhmo's!)
Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I installed the Delrin spring plates bushing too, and they perform great. The only complaint I had was the fitment. Since every application is slightly different they undersize the bushings and you have to sand them down a little to fit over the spring plate. One of them I didn’t sand down enough and the fit was too tight. I figured once it breaks in the arm should swing freely, and it did but not fully yet. As a result that side squeaks.
However at speed on the track it can’t be heard.

Quick Reply: suspension teflon, delrin, or hard plastic?