Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modifying bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modifying bumper cover?

Since both of my fog lights are now broken thanks to a fox at 60 mph and a pebble on the track, I am considering ditching them for something different. I didn't really use them before, so I don't think I'll miss them if they're gone.

I was considering making a duct for the MAF through the DS foglight location and up into the engine bay where the MAF filter is located. How easy would this be? Can I just cut a hole in the bumper cover to make a duct and a hole in the engine bay aimed at the filter?

If this doesn't work, I'll probably just put some covers over the fog light buckets and be done with it for now. Maybe I'll go back to the foglights later.

Here are pics showing what I'm thinking about. (Sorry for stealing your pics Ski!)
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Default inlet duct

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Default duct outlet for MAF

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2004, 12:20 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the simplest, and cleanest home ducting job I have ever seen. I am thinking about doing this myself:
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2004, 12:40 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

That's what I'm looking for. Simple aluminum ducts with a screen in each. Where do these ducts go? Do you know what they are ducting to?

I was thinking MAF on the DS and a mock duct on the PS (just for symmetry).
Old 06-09-2004, 12:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

It looks to me like they are brake ducts, since this is a track car with some big reds on it.

I've been thinking of replicating the design with fiberglass and PVC (fiberglass large flat part and PVC tube glassed in the back). The back of the fog light area could be cut out neatly to accomodate in a fashion that would allow to have the original foglights re-installed at a later date.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:04 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

That's good news if I ever want to go back. How about the hole for the MAF kit filter, is it possible to cut a 3" or so diameter hole in the location shown in the picture above?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm working on a setup like the picture tifo posted. Only I bought some smaller 944 NA foglights to mount up as well.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I would think so. I could measure mine for you this weekend as my driving lights/fogs are out and the area is empty.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw this; we did cut the metal behind where the front turn signal went. We are using a Stage III LR MAF so we wanted to get it some air.

We cut the housing on the bumper cover behind the turn signal so that it was almost flat on the back side. We then drilled a couple of holes and used a jig saw and cut an opening a little bigger than the turn signal opening in the sheet metal that housed the turn signal back housing(second and third pic) The MAF should be able to pick up some good outside air from here, especially under acceleration. We do have brake ducts that came with the extra bumper cover that use the aluminum ducting over to each rotor.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:32 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Thanks Ski, I was hoping you would see this and comment on either the "air duct" idea or the block offs for the fog lamp buckets.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fog light block off plates are very simple. It is simply an aluminum angle piece that mounts to the side of fog light buckets with two sheet metal screws so that the other side of the angle is almost flush with the bumper cover. The covers are simple aluminum sheet metal, cut to fit, drilled and fastened with a single sheet metal screw on each side of the forward angle.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:48 PM
mikec944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that last year in college.

"than i turned around to see what the hell she meant and she was gone...weeks later your driving to work, but your not really driving to work, your thinking what the hell the horse has to do with college..." thats hilarious!!!! I say that all the time.

Quick Reply: Modifying bumper cover?