Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PCV valve & catch tank idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, did you notice anny performance LOSS, buy switching to FQS 4??
Old 06-10-2004, 10:50 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default FQS4

Hi Todd,

Check out my other post somewhere on the list of threads on today's dyno testing. These tests were done on FQS4. I have tried running my car using FQS1, but even with a 20% mix of toluene it still pings above 15psi. At FQS4, I do not get any pinging. Typically I am running at least 10% toluene because So-Cal 91 octane gas absolutely sucks.

With that said, there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response using FQS1. The engine really wakes up with the extra 2 degrees of timing advance. When I have time, I'm going to run some real 100 octane race gas with the FQS1 setting and see if I can squeak out some extra power on the dyno.

On a different note, while we were dyno testing today I was able to check my PCV experiment, albeit in a less-than-scientific manner. While the dyno operator was running the full throttle acceleration, I put my thumb gently over the end of the PCV discharge hose. Sure enough, as the car hit around 3500 rpm there was a gentle "puff-puff-puff" of air coming out of the hose. Not a steady flow of air, but more of a series of quick, evenly timed bursts. Then somewhere around 5000-5500, the PCV valve slammed shut so fast that it created a momentary vacuum in the hose strong enough to suck my thumb firmly against the hose end!! Anyways, I have to round up another oil cap from the junk yard and try a softer PCV valve. But it works!! Backyard scientists of the world rejoice!!

Greg W.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

what is the FQS settin gof 2 or 3 like Gregg?I am in NorCA same ****ty gas..but hate to use FQS 4...I got the waterijection so I can help with detonation what do you think..I am running vitesse 93 octane chips...
Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

I asked Danno about FQS 2 & 3 and he said don't use them with stock injectors. So, for his 18psi chips that come with the 3 bar FPR and the Reliaboost, he recommends FQS4 for pump gas, and FQS1 for race gas. Of course, my car is nearly bone stock compared to yours!

Try a little toluene mix -- I'm picking it up for $6.80 a gallon at the local paint store. If I dilute it with 9 gallons of gas to make a 10% toluene/90% gas brew, it's only an extra 76 cents per gallon.

Best Regards
Greg W.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I am using toluene/xylene mix..1 gallon tol//1/2 xylene but have heard that the toluene we get is not the pure type ...I strongly suggest waterinjection!
I wonder what FQS 2 and 3 would do for me? I have bosch 52 injectors.....

Quick Reply: PCV valve & catch tank idea