Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my friend ASBESTOS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:23 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh and when you turn on the heat or AC you can pipe it directly into the cabin! Sweet!

No really...
Good heat protection though! Glad you found what you were looking for.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

In truth
ftanguay is correct. This could be one of the most overblown stories ever.

If you are working in it Yes but otherwise BULL****. Lawyers have made millions on this and have put many a good companies out of business. The real story is very different.
Ed
Old 06-09-2004, 02:35 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

OK,
Which ones of all the posters here are doctors in medicine, and have studied the carcinogenic processes of asbestos?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm all for darwinism running its course, but since you're a fellow Porsche owner, here's a little reading material:

http://www.wfubmc.edu/intmed/pulmona...ys%23A97D6.pdf

It really doesn't matter if you work with it or if it's a nonoccupational exposure (like Quebec in general). The stuff is nasty. Information you might have heard about asbestos being innocuous is unboubtedly distributed by the asbestos mining industry. They have a pretty bad history of "manipulating" scientific data to support this as well. Independent studies are the ones to trust. In the end, it's up to you who to believe. Just make sure you have the whole story.

Live long and boost hard!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:23 AM
944T4ME
Racer

Ok, if not health, how about mechanical? Instead of radiating the heat out into the engine bay, cooling the turbo off, you are now heating up the turbo and greatly increasing wear and tear on the unit. Might also be heating up the cold side since they ARE connected, and metal conducts very well, losing power.

A better solutution would be to do a 924 turbo nose panel or install a NACA duct or something if you are THAT worried about underhood temps to go through the process of actually using asbestos.

I dont see that many wrapped turbos on race cars but I do see a lot of ducts or removed headlights.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

944T4ME-

Your Sig makes me sick.

-Joe
Old 06-09-2004, 04:51 AM
glen2002
Racer

Ftanguay, you sound fixed in your ways, but probably worth noting that James Hardie (who produced Hardie Ferodo brake pads and other asbestos products) have just announced to the stock exchange that the are allowing half a billion extra for asbestos claims. That was the reason they split the cvompany to compartmentalise the claims. I have met solicitors involved in the case and one of the tactics was to drag the cases out as most would be dead and so the payout less. Most of the victims are old. Interestingly they said some of the worst cases were wives who just threw the husbands clothes in the washing machine. So you don't need to work in a mine!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:35 AM
ftanguay
Racer

It's true it's very dangerous.... if not use correctly. Don't get me wrong, I know many people have die from it. That why it's not a good idea to insulate a house with it, you'll be in contact with it everyday. But to have a asbestos rock in your house ( as many here as a souvenir for mine workers) it's absolutely inoffensive. The point I'm trying to explain is many people ( such as french government) ban the asbestos everywere without proof. Like the break pads maker who are so afraid of being sued, they are willing to spend money replacing them. I try full asbestos break once... they last almost forever, but break power is soooooooooooo low compare to full metal. The final point is so many thing could kill you little by little, and many of these thing replace asbestos!

If few of you are willing to give away your life ; ) you can actually visit a mine and a museum in Therford Mines.

As for the good of insulate the turbo, I heard many good thing about it. But they can be not accurate or mabe my insulation will be too much... if anybody have try it and without please give me some feed back... and if possible before I finish the rebuild.

Cheer!
Old 06-09-2004, 06:05 AM
ftanguay
Racer

Ok,
I just did a search for insulated turbo here what I found:

this forum: "Exhaust Insulating Wrap ?? L8Apex 911 Turbo (930) Forum "
Sorry I don't know how to put a link yet : (
But in easy therm, many people do, the best advantage is less lag. Of course there is a bad side, some with metal headers (N/A I suppose) experiense rust as humidity is trap in the wrap.

The other autority I found using this is Lindsey! they are using thermo Tec on the hot side only and jet coat on the crossover and headers... so I think I'm gonna stick with my setup.

If I can finish it someday... I 'll let you know if there is any other problem. Of couse if I don't die first hahahaha (just joking!)
Old 06-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the fact that I reside in a province that produced large quantities of asbestos, I think fear of this product should be put in perspective. Asbestos has been used for decades, all early century buildings have it in its walls (used as a binding fibre in plaster, replacement of old fashion cow hair), and cases of complications or death related to asbestos exposure were found in mining employees or among individuals who already had lung weaknesses and were in close contact for extended periods of time with the fibre in high concentration. Equally dangerous substances are around today, fiberglass is one of them, which is used extensively in just about any appliance.

Overblown? Consider that construction unions in the province of Quebec require all demolition of material potentially contaminated with asbestos requires buildings to be completely sealed off with negative air pressure, workers must wear astronaut suits, take on-site showers following each work shift, etc. And take my word on this, the overkill is expensive, although probably justified considering the close contact to asbestos fibres, which doesn't compare in concentration with an asbestos exhaust pipe shield.

The risk involved in asbestos is minimal relative to a variety of other risks we expose ourselves to on a daily basis, eating fast food weekly creates a far greater hazard than wrapping your exhaust pipes in asbestos!

Aren't stock head gaskets made of asbestos? Make sure to put on your air mask when you take your engine head off!

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Things must be bad in Thetford, but for a good reason aparently. Still, it is controversial. Some say the options are worse.

From the CBC ih 1975:

The doctors say it is "suicide" to live in Thetford Mines and that the whole town is full of "very sick people." They are shocked at the poor working conditions which provide no protection from the dense cloud of deadly asbestos dust. "It's almost as if they're committing a genocide," says one doctor.

Here's the link to tghe rest of the story. http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-75-608-...asbestos/clip2
Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Chris:
The danger is in the shape and the SIZE of the fiber fragment: pin shape, 2 micron long / 1 micron dia.
This single particle will pass standard filters and the human air intake filter (AKA nose) and will end up in the lungs. It will stay there, trapped forever. This particular fiber is able to penetrate cell walls and change the gen structure. only one fiber per cell is needed. The next generation cell will be different.
In the lucky situation, the human immunity system detects this cell as "foreign" and destructs it. If not detected or destructed, the next generation cells will remain, the cancer has settled and starts to take over.
Note that the size of the fiber is important, different sizing does not seem to show the same effect.
Not all dust will have this sizing, but at least a large portion of asbestos dust has. Asbestos in stationary condition does nothing in theory, as soon as it cracks, or is machined or so, the dust starts to spread.
Fiberglass gives different sized fiber fragments: they are longer, will still kill the cell but will not change the gen structure and consequently will not cause cancer (as per current status of the knowledge base, this may change in future!!).
The precautions dismantlers take seem somewhat overdone.
For the workers it is OK, they "wade" in the stuff. The prevention for the incidental by-stander seems induced by the hight of the compensations / indemnifications claimed in lawsuits
TakeCare
Old 06-10-2004, 06:57 AM
ftanguay
Racer

Peckster: pretty cool sample! in a humorist form ; ) It's always funny to see how people see things differently... especialy from 1975.

Hans: it's really true. Here we have the Crysotile type (the less dangerous)

Here's a link I found:
http://www.asbestos-institute.ca/cocktail/cocktail.html

It's unfortunate I cant find a picture of a "sick girl" from TM ; )

The next time I'll go there I clic one just for you guys.

Cheer
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hans, thanks for the informative post. Have we gathered enough data to determine what sort of exposure, over time, is risky? As I take it, only those with unprotected extended exposure to the material develop a condition. My point is, asbestos can be extremely dangerous, however the mere sound of the word 'asbestos' sends chills down anyone's spine, which may be a little excessive and misplaced. Perhaps you could let us know in what form fibers are large enough to be considered safe? Is the exhaust wrap safe enough?

Yes, even demolition guys agree the enforced protocol is overkill, although as I understand asbestos dust is the material to fear and tearing plaster walls down creates tons of dust.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-10-2004, 04:09 PM
ftanguay
Racer

Kit_chris: this is the exact minding I wanted to produce with this post. The new way to use it and extract it are safe and there nothing to compare with the old dangerous thing. If you check at the link I just post earlier, you can see that asbestos is use in many thing even today.

Quick Reply: my friend ASBESTOS!