Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power steering leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 AM
951 S
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power steering leak?

My power steering fluid started pissing out all over the place this weekend. The rack was replaced by the previous owner about 15K ago. After cleaning up the mess under the car I had someone turn the wheel while the car was running. Fluid started to squirt out of where the PS pump housings joint together, under a hard left turn only. Also I found that the previous owner put in a standard clear type power steering fluid and not the ATF it is supposed to have. Has anyone seen a PS pump do that? Sence the car ran that fluid for awhile do you think my rack will be in danger of going next? THX
Old 06-01-2004, 03:49 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The power steering pumps are easily rebuildable, just get a hold of Travis at Rennbay, he's got the rebuild kits in stock. You should be okay as far as your rack is concerned. I'd spend a little bit of time trying to flush the rack out once you get it back together, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just get ATF back in it when you fill it and you'll be fine.

Regards,
Old 06-01-2004, 04:03 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you certain that it is not the PS pump high pressure hose? these babies got LOAD of pressure in them, and if its a small o-ring type leak, while turning it could spill out like made.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:19 PM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pump leaked in exactly that way - between the halfs. I got a rebuilt from Griffiths.com and have had no problems since. Make sure you get new copper crush washers for the reinstall.

Quick Reply: Power steering leak?