Old 05-31-2004, 07:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuel line leaking (by the tank)

Well, in the middle of the clutch job, as i was in the process of pulling the tranny, i looked up and wouldn't you know it, fuel has dripped on to my tranny oil cooler, from one of the lines above it. I don't know which line it is exactly, it looked like there is more than one up there or no? It was kinda, yep its leaking...need to replace it, but then put it out of my mind until later. Where can i get one of these lines or lines? I have looked at paragons online site and lindsey, but nothing. I guess i can call paragon in the morning and i am sure they could find me one? Unless someone else knows a place off the top of their head? Thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

You may want to check the fuel filter and the fuel filter connection joints. It sits right above the cooler and seems like the most likely thing to be leaking in that area.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thats where i think it is leaking, it was caked in dirt/mud right at that connection. Hopefully it is just loose, but maybe the crimped hose end is shot there.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The crimped fittings can go bad over time. I had one leaking last year and ended up replacing them both just to be safe. These are the short rubber hoses back by the fuel filter -- about $40 each from a Porsche dealer. In the grand scheme of things, one of the less expensive OEM parts so might as well not cut corners, especially since the orginals lasted about 16 years!

Old 06-01-2004, 06:26 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ends of the pipe are fitted with o-rings, could be just a small seal (that is what happened with my car).
Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 AM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem and had to replace that section of hose with the special fittings coming from the fuel filter also. It had gotten to the point that fuel was actually dripping from the hose itself. If thats where the problem is- I disconnected the hose and dremel ed off the crimps on the fittings. Then just used new fuel line hose from NAPA cut to the right length with some quality clamps and you're back in business.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So you cut the ends off to keep the threaded fittings, then just got some new hose and a couple of hose clamps? Just for clarification.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh, the line on the fuel filter, wasn't exactly ooomph tight, so maybe that was the problem....guess i'll find out
Old 06-02-2004, 12:19 AM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, thats how I did it - 4000 miles ago. I dont remember what size hose I used but if you carefully cut the crimp the fittings should remain intact and then you can size them for a nice tight hose.

Quick Reply: Fuel line leaking (by the tank)