Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Should I be concerned? A/F Readings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Zackb911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be concerned? A/F Readings...

I recently installed my autometer Boost and Narrowband o2 Gauge (tapped into DME using stock o2 sensor). The readings all be it not too accurate seem very lean... On decelleration it will dip below lean, as in no LEDs lit up so I assume a reading below the range of the gauge. It seems to dither as normal low lean to stoich at idle and on accelleration stoich-rich but not piggy rich... I think my cat may be blocked up and I do not know how old the o2 sensor is. I have the guru kit with 3bar FPR and the plugs seem pretty white, but I had vaccum leaks that have since been fixed. I will put in new plugs 1 range colder and pick up a new o2 sensor, I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar readings and if this might be normal???

Thanks,
Zack
Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

When you let off the throttle the DME shuts off fuel so your Autometer gauge will show no lights.
Idle and cruising should dither from the bottom of lean to the top of the yellow. Full throttle should show around 3 -4 green steady.
The narrow band is OK as an idiot light, showing major problems
but not enough resolution for tuning.
If its dithering rapidly after a few min warm up, then your O2 sensor is probably OK.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It doesn't sound like there's any problems with your car at all. Also, you probably don't really need to switch plugs just running a chip kit.
Ahmet
Old 05-31-2004, 09:45 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Zack, as others have said the narrowband guage really cant be trusted. I have the wideband and also use my map fuel controller as a narrowband, and they never match up.

The only way to make the narrowband give good readings is to make the car run in open loop, which is done by messing with some of the dme wires and a resistor, I cant remember exactly how.

Anyway, if you need to borrow a stock cat for emissions mine is available right now. That way you can pass, buy a testpipe, weld in a bung for a wideband sensor, then get some good readings as to whats going on while improving performance at the same time...

How did the spring spacers work out? Im planning to call you wednesday night to see if that is a good time to come by.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Zackb911
Racer

Hey Mark I think I might take you up on the Cat pipe offer, I just need to get my windshield replaced again and a small exhaust hole sealed up and ill be good to go... The spacers worked awesome, i did the caster blocks too and it rides alot better. Ill be around all week.

Zack

Quick Reply: Should I be concerned? A/F Readings...