Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is running a stand alone setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 11:55 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who is running a stand alone setup?

I am thinking of going to a stand alone engine management setup. I would like to hear the pros, cons, etc. from all of you that have installed such a thing. Does the stand alone make it easier to diagnose engine problems, vaccum leaks, etc.? This is all new to me so no flames please. Thanks.

Ignacio
Old 05-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Me.
Pros - I could write way to much here!
Cons – It isn’t cheap.

A good stand alone along with an experienced person to back it up will make diagnosing problems (and tuning the car) a snap. The key thing is make sure you are going to get the support you need to make it run right. I have seen fellow 951 guys spend more on dyno time trying to tune a brand X system that the initial cost of the system (OK- it was a Motec system – I don’t want to start a flame war with some of the other good supportive stand alone guys!!))

Chris White www.944enhancement.com
Old 05-28-2004, 01:25 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Link. I'm very happy with it, and its one of the cheaper standalones.
Lots of guys on here run it.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:26 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see where to start. I purchased my Tec3 from Chris after planning to get the Link2 from Danno for over six months. In the time I was talking with Danno the Link2 seemed that it was going to be a lot cheaper than the rest. Once it finally came out price was more than what I was told they were predicting it to be with the coil packs and the rest to have it on par with the Tec3. It was still cheaper but I decided to pay the extra cost to have what seemed to be at the time a tested and proven system for our cars.

The install was not that difficult but there were some things I had to do/get on my own to get it installed. I had problems getting the car running after the install and a lot of settings in the software are changed from what I was given. People here have raved about Chris's ability to give them good maps even some that did not purchase the Tec unit from him. The main difference seems to be that I have the Delphi 75-lb/hr injectors instead on the Siemens ones Chris is use to and I also had my O2 sensor go out because of running to rich I think. After getting the car running the rough tuning was not that difficult but it has been a lot of work getting it fine tuned since then but I did not mind that once I started to figure things out. Chris was behind me 100% through all of my problems willing to do what ever he could to help me. He even looked at my car the Friday night before the Hershey swap meet to get some issues worked out.

Good luck with which ever path you take there are many people here to help you no matter which path you take!

Quick Reply: Who is running a stand alone setup?