Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:24 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips

Ok, i am restoring the car. Mechanically, the car is great. But it needs new tranny fluid, brake fluid (maybe lines) and throttle position sensor. Then maybe go for a nice steering wheel, and tidy up the interior. After that, full repainting job along with a rear bridge spoiler and side mouldings. I am not looking for HUGE power (like 400 or so), but what is the best thing or best place to start tuning with? MAF? Turbo, Wastegate, can i install a boost controller for the stock 951 wastegate? thermal wrap the headers? what is USUALLY the first on the list. Please bear in mind that over here in Dubai, temp is already hitting 104F so you can imagine what summer would be like.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:34 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing to do is replace the wasteage and get a boost controller. After that, I would get a Vitesse Package (Stage 2). Its everything you need for a good amount of power. Thermal wrapping the headers, but having them jet hot or ceramic coated is better (especially in conjunction with a heat wrap, which is what im doing).
Old 05-28-2004, 03:52 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

A boost controller would not work with the stock wastegate? i was thinking of a lindsey dual port or shimming my wastegate. I don't want to buy a wastegate that would require welding, or would need any different spring pressure(s). Because that would mean that i would have to keep removing the wastegate if i wanted a higher boost right?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

If you are looking for more power (and have any significant mileage on the car) pull the head and install a new head gasket and clean things up while you are in there. Then start modding from there. 400 hp means new injectors plus an MAF/MAP kit and turbo. Those are the expensive items at least.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM
PORSCHEMANIA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the stock wastegate, only i change the spring and my car boost 18 psi.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

mania did u put new chips in there too?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:24 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

At the moment, i am trying to squeeze out as much power as possible by keeping as many stock components as possible. Chips, shimming wastegate and increasing boost level are all good. But GENERALLY speaking, what would you go with as the first thing on the list?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:41 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're going to upgrade one step at a time, I'd go with chips and a wastegate first. The reasoning for this is that if you get the Guru chips, you can upgrade your injectors without much hassle. They will allow you to compensate for larger injectors at the flip of a switch. Otherwise if you get bigger injectors you will need some way (like new chips) of compensating for the extra fuel they will be delivering. If you're going for big power I'd suggest a wideband o2 meter as well, for safety's sake.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:05 AM
PORSCHEMANIA
Advanced

yes i put chips, authority stage 2 and accuboost controller!!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 12:12 AM
HD911
Racer

Originally posted by PORSCHEMANIA
yes i put chips, authority stage 2 and accuboost controller!!!!

Did you say you are running 18 psi on APE chips? If thats the case you will blow your headgasket pretty soon, those chips lean out up top. Guru's new chips are mapped for 18 psi , and are spot on.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start by replacing all your vacuum lines, exhaust shims/gaskets, check your intake pipes, replace your ijector "O" rings, clean and service the injectors, pull your intercooler and clean it out. It will have a film of oil inside. Get the basics fixed first, then look at upgrades. One needs a good solid base to start from!!!

Jaak Lepson
Old 05-29-2004, 03:49 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

All new vacuum lines, cleaned out injectors at official Bosch Service center, new gaskets etc.....the car is good to start with so, which chips are the best out there? guru 15psi (stock car remember), Authority, Vitesse, Koklen.....?
Old 05-29-2004, 07:45 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Can you adjust the boost on the stock wastegate? i want to install a MBC, would it work?
Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by hosrom_951
so, which chips are the best out there? guru 15psi (stock car remember), Authority, Vitesse, Koklen.....?
I've read many positive posts on the Guru chips. Almost all of the Guru users are very happy with the chipset. Dynocharts show 230-240rwhp on the 26/6. Problem is extremely slow delivery. I'm looking at alternatives and will probably be asking Guru for a refund.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:21 AM
ewainwright
Racer

My 2 cents

Leave boost at stock until you are able to upgrade your injectors and fuel management system. Call MySwiss for a wastegate ($315 US including shipping, plates and hardware). I've learned that the stock shimmed wastegate may hold 18psi; however, you car will not performance as well as as it can with a new Tial. I am not arguing more power; rather, that boost builds much sooner.

Then give Vitesse (or Lindsey) a call. Both are stand up companies with adjustable MAF kits that allows for fine tuning as you upgrade.

I haven't change my stock headgasket. I am running 17psi since Sept. 03 (8K). So far no issues. My A/F ratios are safe.

Edit: What was I thinking? The first purchase should be gauges. Air/ fuel and aftermarket boost at a minimum. Before you spend your money use SEARCH on this site

Last edited by ewainwright; 05-29-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Tips