one more time... chips...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dan87951
I think I'm going to ask for a refund from Danno, I'm sick of the promises.
Excactly what I'm thinking too. The season in Norway is so short (april - sept) and I've waited since april 9th. Usually orders from the US take a week (just received my order from KLA: 1 week, thumbs up to Scott!).

Guru's chips are 18psi with Reliaboost, 3Bar FPR, bypasses CV, ~240rwhp / 270rwhp (S). What are the details for the Vitesse chips?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:06 PM
951power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by porshhhh951
951power
Q : Do I need new chip when going for an digital MAf? ..

If you want the most performace out of your new maf yes. The more modded your car becomes the more and more you are going to need a set of custom burned chips. It's all about tunning. I am not familar with the "cup chips" are these chips from k26/8 car's? Where they burned with the intent to go with a maf system? If not then it's a no brainer. You will need new chips. More over John and/or Danno will be able to make them from scratch if nesssary. Do you have a way to fine tune your car(i.e wideband,dyno, ect)?

951power
The turbo cup chip is already raising the rev limit.

This really doesnt do much of anything for 951's. Our powerband's on stock 26's don't run that high.

The "cup" chip is custom burnt for original injectors a k26/8 and shimmed WG and a 3b FPR.
Furter I have upgraded with 3" Lindsey Exhaust and a DualP WG with controller and therefore deleted the CV . And currently awaiting the zetronix WBO2 .
I am considering a stage 2 maf and siemens 55# injectors from Lindsey. But after reading fast951`s post I`m not sure... should I rather go for a maf with a coustom chip?
Anyone running Lindsey stage 2 with mafterburner...

I sent a e-mail to M.Lindsey asking about the chips beeing set up for the injector size and especially for the MAf kit:

No, they are not programmed for that injector. but you can run any chip set with our MAF.
The fuel controller that comes with our kit re-figures the fuel curve to work with any chip set.
If you do further upgrades on down the road, all you need to do is to retune the fuel controller.
You never need to buy custom mapped chips, it is all done in the controller. It is really a slick
set up, you will need to decide whether you want to buy the MAF with our 'Power Perfect'
controller or our 'Mafterburner'. The Mafterburner requires a lap top to tune the car, but it
does DATA logging. Both units allow you to accurately tune the fuel, they just go about it in
different ways.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,
Mike Lindsey
Old 05-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The problem with my Huntley kit is the ARC2 can't dial in the AFR ratio good enough, one turn of the **** can mean to rich or to lean. I have been looking at Lindsey's Power Perfect system and I'm thinking about getting it instead of a new set of chips.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Dan, With a set of chipd setup to work with the MAF. You will endup setting most of the ***** on the ARC2 to "0".. Then, very minor tweeks (a hair) is needed.. Of course if you can do the adjustment based on LOAD & RPM even better..
Old 05-28-2004, 07:06 PM
951power

Dan!

Have you considerd the mafterburner then?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 PM
2+2
Pro

fast951,
Can you elaborate the operation of your AFM chips, either here or on your site?
What boost is it designed for?
Does it use 3bar fpr or stock?
What type of boost control is envisioned, check ball type (that enhances boost build up) or **** type?
Does the map expect constant boost to redline or falling boost?
Does it require bypassing of the cycling valve?
I know you focus on drivability and area under the curve rather than peak numbers but do you have any indication as to performance for a substantially stock car AFM chips?
Who is TT? (I ask this since you note that he is the brainchild for the AFM chips).

I am sure others (than myself) are curious.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 08:07 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I was planning to update the website, but it might take me a while to get to it. So I'll answer here in brief first....

The VAF (MAF) chips are setup to run:
* 3bar fuel pressure.
* 15psi boost (K26/8 ignition maps should be good to 18psi)
* K26/6 ignition maps expect falling boost (hot air temps), K26/8 don't
* boost control doesn't matter (stock WG should use shims)
* CV doesn't matter (see boost control)

TT: Is an engineer with a passion for 944/951 and a RennLister. He reversed enginner the Motronic (944 and 951). Rewrote the code to support MAF. Also he's the one who designed and developed the Motronic Editor and Monitor.
(I hear he's giving me the task to write some of the code LOL. I guess, back to software engineering for a while).

TT: Is the one that saved me from modifying the code in binary/hex format... The good old days

Old 05-28-2004, 08:17 PM
2+2
Pro

What about the stock AFM chips?
Old 05-29-2004, 04:03 AM
Frank Holland
Advanced

Originally posted by Dan87951
I would like to say Guru but now i'm going on two months for my chip package, with many promises that he would ship. The most recent promise was last monday, I got nothing. Still waiting....
I got the same promis! I will give him till the end of next week.
I have completly rebuilded my engine and now it is sitting in my garage with no injectors! (I was so stupid to sell the old ones).
Old 05-29-2004, 05:01 AM
daniel951
Race Car

u sound like me Frank. LOL i installed a new turbo then sold my injectors to Duke and now my injectors are on back order till at least next week. Sucks Anyone know anything about Racetronix?? Has anyone ordered anything lately from there.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Mendrax
Advanced

Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel
I had Guru chips and had nothing but problems with them. After three sets I gave up and went with Vitesse chips.
What kind of problems ?
Old 05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast951; please post some details on your chips.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mendrax
What kind of problems ?
Typical Guru shipping fiasco where I asked him when they would ship BEFORE I paid and he said two days later. Once I paid, they went out three weeks later after telling me a ton of stories (I shipped them the other day, the FPR is on backorder, I was out of town on business.....).

I originally had APE chips and the car ran fine. I installed the first set of guru's and had a ton of pinging in the mid range. The next revision he sent me the car would backfire between shifts. The next revision I had made the car stutter and buck under part throttle loads (2500 to 3500 range which made them a real bitch for daily driving) and still had a slight ping in the midrange under boost. Went back to the APE's and then Vitesse chips and all is well again. The only thing I found favorable with the gurus' was the increased off-idle crispness.

Quick Reply: one more time... chips...