Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Dan, Which turbo do you have? Any idea what calibration is your MAF?
Do you have the ARC2 to fine tune things?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:31 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will someone please post a link to the vitesse site where the chips are offered. i'm thinking about getting some new ones also. thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:33 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

never mind, didn't see fast951's sig, i guess that's the address.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

http://www.vitesseracing.com/Catalog...ips/chips.html
Old 05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Its the stock turbo and yes I do have a ARC2. I know my MAF uses the Ford Mass Air Flow Sensors if thats what you mean by calibration.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

MAF calibration indicates the voltage curve of a particular MAF. Physical shape has little to do with it.. The standard MAF chips will work for you, just need to fine tune it with the signal massager to match your car.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

So are you telling me I need to dump the ARC2 then?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

No, he's telling you the opposite. He's saying that his standard MAF chips are pretty close, and you should be able to dial it in just right w/your arc2.
Ahmet
Old 05-28-2004, 03:28 AM
daniel951
Race Car

i need chips but i need them soon. I was going to go with GURU except i don't have months. Fast951 will u be able to burn me some chips and how much
Old 05-28-2004, 07:47 AM
951power

I`m considering a Lindsey Maf kit with Mafterburner, currently I`m running Turbo cup chips but I`m not happy with these , the car runs way lean from 4500rpm and up at 14,5 psi .
Q : Do I need new chip when going for an digital MAf? .. The turbo cup chip is already raising the rev limit.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

951power
Q : Do I need new chip when going for an digital MAf? ..

If you want the most performace out of your new maf yes. The more modded your car becomes the more and more you are going to need a set of custom burned chips. It's all about tunning. I am not familar with the "cup chips" are these chips from k26/8 car's? Where they burned with the intent to go with a maf system? If not then it's a no brainer. You will need new chips. More over John and/or Danno will be able to make them from scratch if nesssary. Do you have a way to fine tune your car(i.e wideband,dyno, ect)?

951power
The turbo cup chip is already raising the rev limit.

This really doesnt do much of anything for 951's. Our powerband's on stock 26's don't run that high.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:34 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"MAF uses the Ford Mass Air Flow Sensors if thats what you mean by calibration."

This is want to do. Run a Ford/Pro M Maf, but not sure how to hard wire it in to AFM plug. Then just an ARC2 to fine tune. Would new chips need to be burned also, or would the GURU 18's I have be ok as a base, then turn with ARC2 ???

In terms of calibration, it has to be calibrated for your size injectors and that is it, correct?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:35 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I meant, this is what I want to do
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just to clarify few things.. Both AFM and MAF generate a 0-5v signal. The more air going through the higher the signal. The voltage generated by the AFM is not the same as the signal generated by the MAF.
Each MAF has a unique calibration, so now you have various MAF (with different calibration) generating different signals..
The DME figures out the load based on the input (0-5v) signal, and based on this signal it determines the fuel requirements as well as timing under certain conditions..
Based on the above, it's clear that the DME must be aware of the relationship between signal and load... That's where the "Transfer Function" comes into play. Each MAF with a unique calibration has a unique transfer function.. Using the correct transfer function, allows the DME to always figure out the correct LOAD, which is used for subsequent calculations..

There are different ways of adapting a MAF to a DME designed to work with AFM.
- Use a signal massager.. Well if the MAF you are using, uses a curve that is fairly close the curve of the AFM you are replacing, you might get away with it. However change injectors, then tune (with signal massager) and the voltage seen by the DME is totally different. The DME still calculates the same old LOAD as it did with the AFM. However the "actual or real" LOAD is way different than the DME is calculating. Of course you AFR is fine now, but remember, LOAD is also used to determine other values such as timing under Part Throttle. This is why some people experience hesitation or bucking when using signal massagers when adapting a MAF to their car.

- The second method of adapting a MAF is to use a chip designed to work with the particular MAF you are using. This is done by coding the correct "Transfer Function". Again the Transfer Function correlates a voltage to a LOAD value. When the MAF calibration changes, the voltage curve changes, the transfer function has to change in order to get the CORRECT LOAD. Once LOAD is determined correctly, the DME has the correct information to do its calculations.

Few things to be aware of. Both AFM and MAF has upper limits! Once the barn door inside the AFM is fully open, the AFM generates the MAX voltage it was designed for. Also, a MAF (based on its calibration) can max out and generate the highest voltage (even though you have not reached the MAX air flow going through it). So choosing the correct MAF calibration is very important to support a particular engine setup.

* In order to burn the correct MAF chip some variables must be known in advance. The MAF calibration and the size of injectors are the key. So by saying it's a 75mm MAF or so and so StageX does not give the accurate required information. With experience, we make assumptions as to which MAF was used with a particular setup...

Note: Not 2 cars are 100% identical. That's why a signal massager is nice to have to fine tune things to match your setup. The fine tuning does not and should not alter the signal in a way to affect the calculated LOAD by a large amount.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues.. And I hope I didn't confuse matters...

Please do not ask me for pricing on this board, visit the website for pricing information and/or email me directly.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:40 PM
2+2
Pro

fast951,
Can you elaborate the operation of your AFM chips, either here or on your site?
What boost is it designed for?
Does it use 3bar fpr or stock?
What type of boost control is envisioned, check ball type (that enhances boost build up) or **** type?
Does the map expect constant boost to redline or falling boost?
Does it require bypassing of the cycling valve?
I know you focus on drivability and area under the curve rather than peak numbers but do you have any indication as to performance for a substantially stock car AFM chips?
Who is TT? (I ask this since you note that he is the brainchild for the AFM chips).

I am sure others (than myself) are curious.
Thanks

Quick Reply: one more time... chips...