Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weltmeister Chip Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 PM
jbscreens
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Weltmeister Chip Warning!

I just received my weltmiester chips in the mail. I read through the install directions & noticed the warning... Engine must be stock and have a catalyst, or could cause damage.
The only mods to my 951 are LindseyRacing 3" exhaust w/test pipe(no catalyc-converter) along with thier Dual-port wastegate & manual boost controller. (since these items where installed car lost 50% of boost. detailed thread of this 3 weeks ago & was lead to believe I could solve problem with chip upgrade.)
My questions are;
#1) If I install these chips, will my engine have major problems, explode, or die? (not nessecarily in that order. HAHA!)
#2) I was told due to the dual port wastegate I don't need to install the wastegate shim that came with the chips. True or False? Explain please.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Danno... gururacing.net

You will get a new chip and likely your boost issue sorted or at least discovered.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:24 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't see how installing new chips would fix a boost problem???
Old 05-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I would bet the issue is with the boost controller connection.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:33 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah weird about advice on changing a chip would fix a 50% loss in pressure. If you dont have a way to tune your fuel on top of the chips if you keep the Welt ones, I would not use them...
Old 05-26-2004, 01:09 AM
jbscreens
AutoX

I was told something about the the stock KLR chip which controlls the upgraded wastgate needed to be upgraded to raise the rev limiter and some other functions.

Call Danno??? I did 3 weeks ago. He just called me back yesterday. Thats not good customer service. Plus I read s thread from days ago "Hello Danno" (yikes)

I'm new(1yr.) to the Porsche world. I was lead to believe performance chips would solve my problem.(maybe I was born yesterday?) I'm know weltmiester chips aren't the best or the worst(I'm assuming) but that they were safe. I have to get the car running right by the weekend. I have too take the kids to NHIS/PCA event.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:33 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have Lindsey's dual port wastegatr, its a direct bolt on, no shims needed.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

I have heard lots of peoples boost problems relate to that damned cycling valve. Ive heard if you throw those away and control boost with a controller it will hit boost harder too. I dont know, but could that possibly be your problem?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:09 AM
jbscreens
AutoX

Along with the Welt. chips these items are getting installed; A/F guage, injector duty monitor, & on backorder are the adj. fuel reg. & fuel dampner.

I not sure if this item is stock or not, Looks like a boost enhancer? maybe? Its red and blue and has a rubber hose coming out of each end. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with boost. I wonder if this has something to do the boost problem?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Are ou saying you have a boost enhancer and a boost controller at the same time? If you do, then that is the problem. You need only the manual boost controller IIRC.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 AM
jbscreens
AutoX

Hey Mike,
forgive me I'm new at this stuff, Its located next to the feul rail. And if it is a boost enhancer, after taking it off...do I just connect the 2 rubber hoses together?

I would LOVE to solve this boost problem. I didn't want a turbo I'd bought a NA!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Well yes just connect them, but I wasnt quite understanding you. Is the boostenhancer you controller or are there 2 pieces on your wastgate line? As in you have the enhancer hooked up as well as some other sort of boost control? If you have 2 then you need only to remove one of them.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:00 AM
jbscreens
AutoX

Hey Mike.

I have a manual boost controller and what appears to be a boost enhancer. The " enhancer " blue,red,& I think even a little bit of gold, is located next to the feul rail. Hanging loose, but is connected with a rubber hose on each end going to where, I don't know.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

In that case, I would ditch the enhancer and use only the controller. Is your cycling valve bypassed or do you use it? If it is still in use, then I don't know which one you should use, but I do know you should only use one. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:07 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One end of the Boost enhancer should be connected to the intercooler pipes. You should very clearly be able to see where it is connected because the cv lines are very close together. If you do indeed have a manual boost controller you must remove the lindsey boost enhancer. Just disconnect both end's of the valve. I believe mine are left exposed. I would have to check. So just remove it completely and then see if your boost problems go away.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister Chip Warning!