Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alignment Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Chas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Woes

So the idiot at my shop (Porsche/Audio Specialit shop) was basically arguing with me that -1.25 front and -1.00 rear camber was WAYYYY out of spec and no one would run that much.

I don't know what he was talking about...I mean..yes factory spec is -.3 front and -.7 or whatever rear....but people run in the 1-1.75 for street/DE all the time right?

Some one please tell me that this guy is an idiot...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mines at -0.49 on each of the fronts for camber, 2.5 roughly for caster on fronts, toe is 1/32" each. Rears are at -1.7 each for camber.

Done by an alignment shop that deals with MR2s, WRXs, custom Autocross setups, rally setups, etc and is beta testing the lastest John Beam 3D system.

He just asked me if I wanted it more for aggressive driving, etc. I said "Aggressive please " and he took care of it. Dunno if this helps you at all, but im quite happy with it so far.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put on -1.75 in front for the autox last weekend. I would not street it like that for all that long unless you like buying tires.
I am going to put the camber back to around -.5 until right before the x next month. Just do the alignment yourself... who needs lasers/pits/machines.... Get 4 ramps, a flat piece of driveway, a string, a carpenters square and a level. That way you can play with the settings and change them around until it feels good.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Chas
Pro

Okay so how pissed would you be if the shop told you they had to keep your car overnight to do an alignment...

...so they are having issues with the back...here are the before numbers:

Camber L R = -1.4 and -0.6
Toe L R = 0.03 and -0.13

So the car was ******* right pretty good (negative toe means toe OUT)

Wrench said to me:
"I can't adjust the eccentric any further than to get the toe in to -0.10" (Still tremendous toe OUT).
"I also can't adjust the camber eccentric to get any more than -0.5 camber"

What does this sound like to you? Is something binding in the rear? Is there really a "toe-in eccentric"? I always thought it was adjust some other way.

I DO get a slight pop or click when coming off from loading the right rear at low speeds. Like when I am driving through a parking lot, make a moderate left turn, and then straighten out, I sometimes hear a couple of pops...like something is binding...Would this keep the eccentrics from being able to set correct camber and toe-in?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you drive the car regularly on the street I wouldn't run that much camber else you will wear the tires unevenly. You can use that much camber and more on the track but the right amount depends on how the rest of your suspension is set up and how you drive.

If you want to track the car regularly as well as street drive it then camber plates are nice to have.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is a toe eccentric. It's a tool that installed into the spring plate to move it back and forth to get the desired toe.

It sounds like one of two things to me.

1) The lock bolts are not loose enough to allow movement.
2) And/or the hole is egged out and the tool cannot move it enough.

BTW, I ran my car at the track this past weekend and had -2.5 degrees in the front. It's goooooodddddd!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Chas
Pro

After searching the 944/951/etc. forums for a couple hours...I found that 1.00 to 1.25 negative camber is quite average for people running street. Just ask Danno...WOW -2.00+!

Wrench is going to run up another hour labor on the bill in the morning to dive into the rear suspension...maybe now would be a good time to throw in coil overs in the rear!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:37 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I've heard from a couple of national champ guys that aggressive alignments don't really result in weird tire wear for 944s. I don't put a lot of miles on mine, so I haven't tested that theory. But, the one guy in particular said he gets 30k on the street w/ his auto-x alignment (and always uses a different set of wheels for auto-x and lapping). It must be because of the weight balance and rear wheel drive. I can imagine how a front wheel drive or awd car would wear the fronts much more quickly with an aggressive alignment.

Quick Reply: Alignment Woes