Xover to turbo bolts: orientation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023 | 04:14 PM
Porsche-noob-91
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Xover to turbo bolts: orientation

Hi,

I'm still working on the installation of my one piece crossover pipe.
I have my bolts that connect the Xover to the turbo in like this: turbo-xover-bolts.jpg (1080×1351) (951werks.eu)
Green circle: bolt head to the fender side, nut on the turbo side
Red circle: bolt heads to the turbo side, nut on the fender side

Is this correct?

Additionally, how can I torque these nuts down? I tried crows' feet with a 3/8 torque wrench, but I didn't have enough space.
Old 08-08-2023 | 09:52 AM
ecrouch01
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed my crossover pipe with all the bolts oriented like the green circled one (except the welded on nut). I wasn't able to insert the bolt from the backside (red circled) as there just wasn't enough space.
I would just crank these down until they are "gudentite". All you have to do is crush the sealing ring and ensure its tight enough the bolts don't vibrate loose. They are lock nuts so the risk is rather low. Tighten until flanges touch each other all around.

Old 08-08-2023 | 11:51 AM
Porsche-noob-91
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ecrouch01
I just installed my crossover pipe with all the bolts oriented like the green circled one (except the welded on nut). I wasn't able to insert the bolt from the backside (red circled) as there just wasn't enough space.
I would just crank these down until they are "gudentite". All you have to do is crush the sealing ring and ensure its tight enough the bolts don't vibrate loose. They are lock nuts so the risk is rather low. Tighten until flanges touch each other all around.
Thanks. I left it like in the pic and I don't seem to have a leak from there. I couldn't get the gap to close perfect as I couldn't tighten the bolt any more. Maybe I need a longer wrench...

Quick Reply: Xover to turbo bolts: orientation