3.0l 16V Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MildMax951
Gary I have emailed you a copy of the DME bin for a 1988 26/6 28 pin
(the KLR chip is not handled by the editor, but I will include it anyway)

If any one else needs these (for educational purposes only of course)
just PM me
Thanks very much! Interesting stuff...

Gary.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Hi some of this is way over my head but is this a relatively cheap way to get a MAF and dump the barn door setup using off the shelf Bosch parts plus a small cicuit board?
Are the Bosch bits used in a run of the mill car so that they may be avialable from a breakers?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-03-2004, 08:47 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Hi some of this is way over my head but is this a relatively cheap way to get a MAF and dump the barn door setup using off the shelf Bosch parts plus a small cicuit board?
Are the Bosch bits used in a run of the mill car so that they may be avialable from a breakers?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Originally posted by UK952
Thanks,
Tony
The MAP itself is an easy component to get hold of - look at the Bosch 3 bar sensors that we use on Cosworths.

The complication is the signal massager to translate the diffent measurement characteristics of the MAP to match the AFM signals that the DME needs / expects.

Extra complication to gain further performance is use of the TPS as well to help create a more controlled map and acceleration enrichment etc. Also ATS for the cold start / warm up phase and AFR trim.

The Link box is custom designed to do this and has a MAP sensor integrated directly. It is also externally programmable to non volatile memory, making it tunable.

Rick.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Bengt, very illuminating information.

I'm having a spare inlet manifold 'breathed' on at the moment. I'm going to have it modified to accept an ATS so that I can experiment with my GURU MAP 2.

Reading the air temperature inside the plenum must be more accurate than reading it in the throat of the air intake.

It remains to be seen if we can locate the air temperature / injection duty cycle map in the DME, assuming it is in there somewhere ....

Rick.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Yes and no.
I assume that you mean a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and not a MAP that eastendr gave an answer for.
Yes it is a relatively cheap way of getting rid of the stock AFM and the parts can be found on other car models, check for larger MB:s or BMW:s, they should have this type of MAF if I'm not mistaken.
The downside is that this at the moment is not an easy bolt on. It requires knowledge in electronics and assembler programming. And probably a lot of trial and error testing.
The middle road soultion would be to buy a Piggyback and a used MAF and go from there.

Tomas
Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Originally posted by Tomas L
Yes and no.
I assume that you mean a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and not a MAP that eastendr gave an answer for.
Yes it is a relatively cheap way of getting rid of the stock AFM and the parts can be found on other car models, check for larger MB:s or BMW:s, they should have this type of MAF if I'm not mistaken.
The downside is that this at the moment is not an easy bolt on. It requires knowledge in electronics and assembler programming. And probably a lot of trial and error testing.
The middle road soultion would be to buy a Piggyback and a used MAF and go from there.

Tomas
Well spotted, Tomas. I did misread Tony's post as MAF. Must pay more attention.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:58 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Thanks, on the first page

"Since we want to keep the costs low, we're still using the original DME and KLR. The DME expects a volume value - the MAF delivers a mass value. So the CPU measures the MAF output via a A/D converter. The value is corrected to the corresponding volume. That is why we need the NTC signal. The volume value is than send via a D/A converter to the DME."

"Hardware costs are around $50."

So if this adaptor or circuit details became available (could be a big market?) then MAF from Bosch (or breakers) plus the convertor / air filter and some plumbing would be all thats required?

Tony
Old 06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

To improve function further it would be nice to be able to cancel out the volume to mass conversion based on the NTC reading while maintaining cold start enrichment based on the same NTC.
Bengt
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 AM
david benjamin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Transaxle
Since we want to keep the costs low, we're still using the original DME and KLR. The DME expects a volume value - the MAF delivers a mass value. So the CPU measures the MAF output via a A/D converter. The value is corrected to the corresponding volume. That is why we need the NTC signal. The volume value is than send via a D/A converter to the DME.

It is simple. The tricky part is in the simulation of the slower flap and the measurement of the reverse flow. We are still working on that to get it perfect...
John

I'm new to the list having recently acquired a 951. Are you yet in a position to provide full details of the MAF conversion? I'm very interested in converting my 951. I could meet up with you to discuss if you would prefer.

David
Old 07-28-2004, 06:05 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomas, in an attempt to follow what you have done. I have a MAF that will work but I need to get it converted. It has 5 wires out so what do I need to get this thing up and running????
Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any news?

Very interesting thread
Old 01-13-2006, 04:15 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I believe (but could be wrong) Thomas is Scivision who now supply promax in the UK.
Tony
Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Originally Posted by UK952
I believe (but could be wrong) Thomas is Scivision who now supply promax in the UK.
Tony
Which one of us?
I believe that Transaxle also listens to the name Thomas and if you are referring to him I think you are correct.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Yes meant transaxle above and probably confused him and you, though, if his name is thomas as well I will look less foolish

Tony

Quick Reply: 3.0l 16V Turbo Project