Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a shop fluent in Lindsey Racing tunes/ repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 12:59 PM
Amaury944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a shop fluent in Lindsey Racing tunes/ repairs

I have an 86 951 that has a Lindsey Racing tune on it that has caused Idle to go all over the range, mostly rich. I used to have Vitesse tune and had issues with it. Got a brand new complete engine harness made by Techniracewire here locally in SoCal. Then went back to LR. I need a shop that is familiar with LR and modified 944's. I have done all that I can with my wrenching abilities. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am in Long Beach area of SoCal, but willing to drive up to 300 miles (towed of course). Thank you....
Old 06-29-2023, 01:25 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont know if he is fluent in LR, but try Comeau Racing in San Diego. I cannot attest to how good they are, as I live on the other side of the country. Just follow them on IG

CONTACT US – Comeau Racing Enterprises est. 2004
Old 06-29-2023, 01:32 PM
Amaury944
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Justin, I spoke to Tim, hes got 2 months waiting list and hes not too familiar with LR / tuned 951's in general. He prefers stock, as most shops do unfortunately. Shame, these cars really perform with at tune.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:37 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm curious as to what issues you were having with Vitesse setup. Most actually go from Lindsey to Vitesse. Was this with the MAF or just chipset?
Old 06-29-2023, 01:59 PM
Amaury944
Intermediate

It was his full Maf tune. I had been having issues with my set up. I did have LR prior to Vitesse. Actually ran better on LR, but still have rough idle issues at idle. I accidentially broke two connectors on the chip and had sent it back to get repaired. He sent it back repaired, but it ran worse then. I think maybe the chip got corrupt, I just got pissed off cause he didnt even want to examine the chip to see if it was corrupt, so then the rabbit hole opened up... A friend of mine tried tunning it on VEMS but he didnt have any experience on Porsches, mostly Audi's (he tuned my Audi 4000 on VEMS) . That was a waste of money. Now I am just trying to go back to LR which my Audi buddy installed,but its just not running right. The car now has a brand new engine harness which I think was the main issue in the first place. I just need a person (doesnt have to be shop) that is familiar with fine tuning these cars on LR maf tunes. I actually still have the Vitesse tune which I need to list it for sale.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:05 PM
Amaury944
Intermediate

He couldnt make VEMS work, and to be honest I couldnt find any other tuner that would work with VEMS as most tuners consider it outdated, and either wanted me to go with MAXX or Elink? Frankly Im trying to stop the bleeding as I tumble down the rabbit hole. I just want to be able to enjoy my car again. I see your on VEMS, with quite the set up!. Did you / tuner have to get the fuel injectors to fire sequentially? that was one of the main issues he couldnt get it to work.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:45 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Apologize if I’m missing something, but If both MAF systems resulted in bad idle, it might not be the tune. Again, apologize if I’m stating the obvious, have you checked fuel pressure, right injectors, vacuum leaks, intake leaks, voltage to MAF are some things that come to mind.

There is a good chance that if you start from the beginning, folks here would help troubleshoot. I’m in the middle of installing new Vitesse MAF+, I might be able to provide input in a few days.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:52 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944M3
Apologize if I’m missing something, but If both MAF systems resulted in bad idle, it might not be the tune. Again, apologize if I’m stating the obvious, have you checked fuel pressure, right injectors, vacuum leaks, intake leaks, voltage to MAF are some things that come to mind.

There is a good chance that if you start from the beginning, folks here would help troubleshoot. I’m in the middle of installing new Vitesse MAF+, I might be able to provide input in a few days.
Forgot to mention. Seems you tried standalone that didn’t work either. I would suggest to try to get the car running well in stock form. At least then you would know you have a solid base to work with and upgrade.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:05 PM
Amaury944
Intermediate

Yeah you make good points for sure. I did have the 80# injectors (one that come with the LR MAF tune kit) cleaned and flow matched before going with the attempt at VEMS. That is the reason I need to take this car to someone knowledgeable in this area. I can wrench, but terrible at diagnosing issues like this. The intake gaskets were also replaced. Im thinking there must be a vacuum leak.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:32 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amaury944
Yeah you make good points for sure. I did have the 80# injectors (one that come with the LR MAF tune kit) cleaned and flow matched before going with the attempt at VEMS. That is the reason I need to take this car to someone knowledgeable in this area. I can wrench, but terrible at diagnosing issues like this. The intake gaskets were also replaced. Im thinking there must be a vacuum leak.
I was terrible at troubleshooting. And daunting when you first take a look at the cramped jungle under the hood, no idea where to begin. Been in that situation. But I can also attest it’s doable. You just need a good beer, favorite tunes playing, decent set of tools, a rag, a few bandaids, and TONS of patience.

That is my guess too, a vacuum leak. That is where I would begin if I were you. Lots of videos on testing for leaks.

Happy to add advice if you post questions, as most of us on the board would.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:24 AM
Toolbelt0
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Go back to full stock. Your problems might go away, Could be a variety of things including the installation process. You wont know that for sure until you know that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle first. Plus its easier to find problems in stock form because all the repair material is posted everywhere. Once you have a properly running car you can then try again.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:04 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Amaury944
He couldnt make VEMS work, and to be honest I couldnt find any other tuner that would work with VEMS as most tuners consider it outdated, and either wanted me to go with MAXX or Elink? Frankly Im trying to stop the bleeding as I tumble down the rabbit hole. I just want to be able to enjoy my car again. I see your on VEMS, with quite the set up!. Did you / tuner have to get the fuel injectors to fire sequentially? that was one of the main issues he couldnt get it to work.
Injectors were batch fire, like stock. Are you having issues idling, I would check throttle position sensor. Since you have a new harness, I'd try and swap back in the stock harness to see if there's any changes. My rabbit hole has been 7 years deep, lol.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:28 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have one of the original Mtunes from Josh. Have to say, it works great and Josh really knew his stuff.

Quick Reply: Need a shop fluent in Lindsey Racing tunes/ repairs