Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does painting the car decrease it's value, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does painting the car decrease it's value, Why?

I was wondering why some would think that having the car repainted would decreas it's value. I would think having a car repainted and having just a few stone chips would be better than having a car with orginal paint and a whole front end full of paint chip's or scratche's and so on. For me having a car repainted that looks new and fresh would be a better value than having a car with some faded paint and lot's of stone chip's.

Face it driving the car and your going to get stone chip's and scratches from who know's where. In my thinking having a car that is 16 years old if it had not been repainted I would think would show allot more where and tear and would decreas it value. How many stone chips and scratches would it have? Would'nt a person rather be driving a car that looked like it just rolled off the show room floor because of new paint than driving a car with stone chips,scratche's and scuff marks but with orginal paint??

Cliff 88 951
Old 05-18-2004, 05:13 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i'll venture a guess, i've seen quite a few 951s over the years with crappy paint jobs. you're going to have to spend 3-5k for a quality paint job and many people try to pass off a maaco special
Old 05-18-2004, 05:14 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

problem with repainting a car is that alot of times the paint isint as good as the factory job. Not to mention it raises quesions on wrecks. Most buyers are looking for a complete original car because then they know it hasent been tampered with. Thats really what they want. I personally wouldn't mind a repainted car if it was done right and still retained the original porsche lettering in the rear along with the decals. Although my car had original paint job I have since then repainted it...and it looks like new....although I had a serious hookup. I paid 2k for a 5k paint job.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Plus you never know what that paint job is hiding.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say that 95% of paint jobs are crap. Most folks go cheap and if you have car with cheap crappy paint job it can be worse. It will look worse and be harder to fix then faded factory paint.

My race car was repainted by the PO before I got it as junk parts car. He lamented on selling the car that he spent $1300 for Good Ole Earl Shieb to paint the car. Well the car looked pink and had sandpaper surface. Crap. The radiator, muffler and all rubber trim was painted red too. It was a mess. The repaint was SO BAD that it actually looked better after being painted with a spray can!

Good paint can increase the value, but it has to be done with high qualty paint, proper masking, and attention to detail when sanding.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Virgin vs. Sloppy-Seconds..... you decide...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

And with cars that shouldn't ever rust...it just serves to raise another question on the car's history.

Apparently my white 944 had been repainted. I had no clue (didn't have 100% complete records), but brought it into a really friendly and quality European sports car shop run by a guy who knows 944s. He looked at it and within about twenty seconds, said "It's been repainted, but one of the best jobs I've seen though." Said something about watermarks or something - a phenomenom I could only see at a distinct angle with a certain amount of light. Well...I did have a point to this story. Yes, I was talking to him about selling it on consignment, and an original paintjob is one more item to tick off on any descriptive list for a prospective buyer.

Ultimately, it comes down to confidence in knowing the car's condition and history.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Danno: that depends... is it the girl in your avatar?

Cliff: The reason that I worry about a painted car is because I know that any car that I am going to buy will have to spend at least a year as a daily driver during the summer months, and I dont want to have to worry about the durability of a repaint. Personally I would rather have a car with original paint and some scratches and stone chips, because when the car gets "retired" I can paint it, and know what's under the new paint. Even if the front end was sandblasted from rocks, the front bumper is probably easy enough to paint.
Also if a car has original paint, you know it was taken care of and probably spent a great deal of its life indoors. Generally if someone has put forth the effort to keep 16 year old factory paint in good condition, the mechanicals are probably just as nice.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
Virgin vs. Sloppy-Seconds..... you decide...
Not your best.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:58 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

porshhhh951 makes a good point. Yes, they usually are not as good as the factory jobs. I spent 5K for my 635csi to get painted not including all of the little things I paid for. I had everything taken off of the car and it was sanded down to the bare metal. It was a Mississippi car, so it did not have any rust problems. Actually, the guy that painted my car lost money when he did my car. He even said that the amount of time and money ultimately will not match the factory job. The factory bakes the paint on the car in extremely well controlled conditions. Usually the high end shops have the baking (done right) apparatus and usually cost allot more than what I spent. The paint job on my BMW was done very well. It actually looks better than the factory paint jobs that are 18 years old. If I had the choice, it is a no-brainer that I would take an original job over a new one. Unfortunately, my car had many fade spots that looked horrible and actually decreased the value of my car before it was restored.

The second point is that people are usually skeptical about a previously wrecked car. I am one of those people. If I see a car without the original paint job, then I start to really scrutinize every seam and body panel in order to insure it is accident free. Moreover, I definitely would want a really nice paint job for appearance and longevity. In addition to a thorough inspection, I would want to see all of the paperwork. I have all of the paperwork to back up the work done on my car. German cars are usually built (the body) like tanks. If you put a good paint job on the car, it will last another 18 years and make you enjoy it even more. If you skimp out and get a cheap spray, then you will have resale issues and make your car susceptible to easy rock chips and rust.

The bottom line is you need to do your homework if you are interested in a car that has been repainted. I don't think it is automatically going to decrease the value of the car. If it is a crappy job without paperwork to prove it was accident free, then it will depreciate the value. If the history of the car is good and the paint was done right, then you have a car that will look good for many years, plus hold its value.

One more point, if one is to spend around 5-8K on a paint job, then it is a good idea to hold on to the car long term. It is still hard to get every dime you put into it. Some people consider this to be a normal maintenance item and will not consider this a huge bonus compared to what the owner might think after putting all the blood, sweat, and tears into it.

Michel
Old 05-18-2004, 09:58 PM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default some reference

Just to give everyone some reference on paint, I thought I would chime in with my recent experience. I scuffed the rear bumper on my charcoal black metallic 951 a while back by backing into a telephone pole stantion wire (it was late). Anyways, after $100 in paint froma VERY good paint guy, about 20 hours of labor by me, and a good friend sparying it, my bumper looks absolutely perfect (not to mention painted bumper pads!!) Imagine what it would take to do an entire car! Hence the reason most jobs look so bad. Just my 2 cents
Chris
Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Virgin vs. Sloppy-Seconds..... you decide..."
"Danno: that depends... is it the girl in your avatar? "

Well, I heard she just turned 16. That makes her legal in many places around the world.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Here's another angle:

Paint technology has come a long way since 1985 1/2.

I just sprayed a front bumper for a good friend's 951 and it didn't match exactly. The problem was not the color, it was that the factory paint had orange peel and mine didn't.

It looked great once we sanded the rest of the car and buffed it!

The original paint was applied to a fresh new perfect surface. The key is to restore that surface with many tedious hours of prep work, especially with black!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Couple things to consider... factory paint is harder than refinish products because it is totally different. Force drying/curing at the bodyshop level is strictly for production&speed of delivery. Oem paint must be baked to cure(500 deg. or so) and this happens before electronics are installed. Since electronics are present at time of repair max temp is 140-160 deg.f metal temp. Urethane clears cure fully in thirty days or so depending on conditions whether baked or not. Baking just allows more cars through the booth in a day. No refinish job can exactly duplicate oem. In addition, going to bare metal is not necessarily better. If the oem paint is not peeling, breaking down or badly chipped, it is better to work over top of it. It is safe to have one full refinish job over oem. On our cars(galvanized) my concern is that when going to bare metal you inevitably remove some corrosion protection. My car has the original finish and needs re-doing...15 years of chips. At least I know whats there and in prepping I avoided bare metal as much as possible. Just a few facts and opinions, hope it helps. Btw I'm testing a new ceramic impregnated mar resistant clear on my car in a week or so will post results.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:22 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Leagal here! My last GF was 17... god bless her.

Quick Reply: Does painting the car decrease it's value, Why?