Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drill LBE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 01:03 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Default Drill LBE?

How and whats the procedure for drilling the Lindsey boost enhancer. I have removed the cycling valve, and it will be connected straight to the wastegate. I'm aware that the LBE spikes boost, but can be drilled to relieve this. thanks.
~Eyal
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:31 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Just drill a small hole on the wastegate side of the check valve to relieve any residual pressure.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:32 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Just a thought, but if it did minimise spikes, why wouldnt they make it so?
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:35 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Got me. Mabye they just never consider it? Not sure. Danno's boost gizzy has a small hole.

I have an LBE and never bothered with the hole. The spike is noticable on the dyno but I don't feel it on the road.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:57 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Isn't the spike creating a lean situation? I don't want to endanger my engine that much. What size should the hole be?
~Eyal
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:15 AM
MildMax951
Instructor

The LBE was designed from the start to work in line with the factory boost control (ie the cycling valve controlled by the KLR).
the air bleed return to the input side of the turbo (port R on the cycling valve) is always open to some extent and fulfills the same function as a bleed hole. Bypass the CV and you will have to implement your own bleed.
Sami posted a pic of a reliaboost with a 0.7 mm pencil lead just fitting in the bleed hole some time ago.
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:21 AM
Sami951
Drifting

The thread with the pics is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...e&pagenumber=2

Old 05-18-2004 | 09:09 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

No the spike does not inherently create a lean condition. It depends on how your chips are mapped.

MildMax is correct. If you are using the LBE in series with the factory air timed valve the pressure will vent back into the J boot at the compressor inlet but you will still get a mild spike.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:59 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

BTW, I've been running this for a while now, still with APEII chips (Gurus should be here soon). No problems so far. Just put a test pipe in, boosts a little quicker, not much difference on top end, much better sound. No boost spikes noticible to me, but I only have an analog VDO gauge, will be heading to the dyno soon. Just make sure you have the LBE in a good clamp and use a drill press or you WILL break off the bit!
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:59 PM
Danno
Race Director

"No the spike does not inherently create a lean condition. It depends on how your chips are mapped. "

Exactly. I program the GURU chips differently depending up on whether the user has an LBE or ReliaBoost or some other boost-control method. This is critical in the anti-lag zones where I purposely use a lean mixture to help reduce turbo-lag. However, on Eyal's dyno-chart, he's got a super-lean 15.0:1 mixture that is due to the extra low-end spike the LBE has. By 4500rpm, it's down to a safer 12.0:1.

I wouldn't recommend using the LBE hooked directly up the wastegate. In my silly attempt at preserving new inventory for GURU customers ("don't get high on your own supply"), I put an old LBE on right before the OTC. Then during the entire time, I had a frustrating boost-situation that was bizarre. It was the opposite problem as most people have, I was getting lower and lower boost as I went up the gears. So 1st gear got 12psi, then 2nd got 9psi, 3rd was 6psi, 4th was 2psi and by the time I hit 5th gear, I was running in NA mode with 0psi of boost.

The problem was that the space between the LBE and wastegate was a no-flow compartment. Whenever boost hit higher than desired, say 13psi, it would crack open the LBE and some pressure would build up on the wastegate diaphragm to open it and dump boost. As the turbo spooled down and got below desired max-boost, say 11psi, the LBE would close. This would trap pressure between the LBE and wastegate; the result being that the wastegate would be slightly cracked open. Then as I hit the next gear, more pressure gets through the LBE and gets trapped. By 5th gear, the wastegate was probably open enough to generate 0psi boost on the gauge... Quite frustrating really. So swapping out the LBE for one of the Reliaboosts restored the desired boost-levels to each gear.

As for drilling the LBE, I'm not sure where you can get a 0.7mm drill-bit. And using one of those without a drill-press can be downright dangerous...
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:44 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

I think a .7mm bit is also called a #80 or #70 or something. We had a bunch at work. BTW, I get 14 psi in 1st then 15 in all the rest of the gears. LBE directly to wastegate.

Quick Reply: Drill LBE?