Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Full boost, then BAM: running on 3 cylinders? (now with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had cracked rings on all four cylinders once. One of them was so bad, it worked its way up into the combustion chamber and dented up the cylinder-head and piston pretty bad. Another piston had a triangular hole melted into its edge about 3/4" long....
Old 05-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Yan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, here's a better summary:

1) I got fuel
2) I got sparks
3) Cylinder #1 = 140, #2 = 140, #3 = 0, #4 = 125

There's no weird noise, everything is turning fine, no smoke, the spark plugs don't show any bad sign.

What's the easiest way to diagnose a bad valve or holed piston? Can we check the piston with a small light thru the hole of the spark plug?

I know that I'll have to open it anyway, I just want to start shopping for the necessary parts. What are the next steps and how much am I looking to spend for each of the possible culprits?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow, bad news.

Can you borrow a borescope? Or bring it up to TDC on the compression stroke, put compressed air into the cyl (not too much) and see where it comes back out (intake, exhaust, or breather?)

-Joel.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Yan
Instructor

Originally posted by Jfrahm
Wow, bad news.

Can you borrow a borescope? Or bring it up to TDC on the compression stroke, put compressed air into the cyl (not too much) and see where it comes back out (intake, exhaust, or breather?)

-Joel.
No I don't have access to that kind of equipment, I hoped that there was a better way to identify the culprit.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry about that. If you pump compressed air into the cylinder when the valves are shut (or supposed to be), you should be able to get a clue based on where the air comes out -- out the intake is bad intake valve, out the exhaust is bad exhaust valve, out the crankcase is bad rings or holed piston or cracked cylinder.

Originally posted by Yan
Ok guys, here's a better summary:

1) I got fuel
2) I got sparks
3) Cylinder #1 = 140, #2 = 140, #3 = 0, #4 = 125

There's no weird noise, everything is turning fine, no smoke, the spark plugs don't show any bad sign.

What's the easiest way to diagnose a bad valve or holed piston? Can we check the piston with a small light thru the hole of the spark plug?

I know that I'll have to open it anyway, I just want to start shopping for the necessary parts. What are the next steps and how much am I looking to spend for each of the possible culprits?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
krutschman1
Advanced

P U L L T H E H E A D ! Stop posting, and start wrenching. You could've been done already!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:50 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a friend of mine who was pushing his boxster really hard, redlining on 3rd gear, then shifts to 2nd by mistake, and boom goes the engine. 5 out of the 6 cylinders were working. Compression showed that that cylinder was 0. Pulled out the engine, and found disaster. Needed and NEW engine or a used one...........
Old 05-19-2004, 02:54 AM
turbo951fan
Racer

Originally posted by krutschman1
P U L L T H E H E A D ! Stop posting, and start wrenching. You could've been done already!
Yes, no matter what, pull it and you know. Probably a valve, they just go once in a while. No biggie.

Quick Reply: Full boost, then BAM: running on 3 cylinders? (now with pics)