Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake Caliper Rebuild - Piston Will Not Re-install With New Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 01:39 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake Caliper Rebuild - Piston Will Not Re-install With New Seal

**Edit, I was using a seal that was close to the correct size, but it wasn't the correct size. I used the correct size seal and the piston went in**

Hey All,

This is my first post in a long time! Unfortunately, it's a desperation post because rebuilding the calipers on my 1986 Turbo is proving to be extremely difficult. I am unable to get the piston to go in straight with the new 36mm seal in the front caliper. I've tried rocking it around to try and get it to seat smoothly by hand, but I can't get it to start going in. Then every time I clamp with a C-clamp, it gets cocked and I believe the bottom of the piston is pressing on the flat side of the seal in that area (seal moves around slightly and impedes path of piston in one local spot). I tried it last night with brake fluid as lube for assembly, and today I tried sil-glyde, but it still does not want to install. Any ideas or recommendations from people who have rebuilt their calipers before?

What's so frustrating is that this is the first piston (out of 16 on the car!) and it's taking so much effort.

Last edited by barelyrunshalfthetime; 03-12-2023 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Rebuild - Piston Will Not Re-install With New Seal