Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shafted by the halfshaft!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 01:48 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shafted by the halfshaft!

Does anybody know the best place to purchase a halfshaft? I just jacked my car up a couple of minutes ago to investigate this weeks new noise. Argh! Grease is everywhere and the boot is split almost in half. I will probably buy a rebuilt shaft just for the sake of time, but I am trying to avoid the "turd" rebuilds. I don't want to slam the discount chains because sometimes their parts are the same as everyone else's, but I don't want a junk piece either. Thanks for all of your help in the past.
Kary
89 951
Old 05-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Just make sure the halfshaft is made by LOBRO. My local Porsche dealer supplied me with these (claimed OEM) shafts at less than half the price of the same units in a PCNA box. They have held up fine for the last four or five years with over 300 hp to the wheels. Local parts warehouses tend to carry them in the SF bay area, but if they are not available in your area, you could call Parts Heaven in Hayward CA or probably many of the rennlist sponsors (such as 944online.com). Might want to buy new CV bolts and the needed triple square socket while you are shopping. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:40 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

Thanks Tom. I just replaced the bolts when I rebuilt the engine. That was last year and the axle's seemed fine then. I guess I can tear into it myself since none of the parts stores around here (Wichita, Ks.), carry too many Porsche parts. They all want to order it in for you. Guess what, I can order it. I hate it when they say that, but I guess their doing their job.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by krutschman1
Thanks Tom. I just replaced the bolts when I rebuilt the engine. That was last year and the axle's seemed fine then. I guess I can tear into it myself since none of the parts stores around here (Wichita, Ks.), carry too many Porsche parts. They all want to order it in for you. Guess what, I can order it. I hate it when they say that, but I guess their doing their job.
How much is "too much" to spend on axles? Paragon has them for $180 each brand new for the LOBRO axles. That includes all the new bults also. I got mine through Steinel's autowerks in OH when I had my car in there, cost me $440 or something installed. Not to bad. Could have been worse.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Old 05-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Mine were $189 each if I recall correctly, so $440 installed is not too bad at all.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:04 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

I just took the axle out tonight. Even though it was split all the way around, it still had plenty of grease in it. I think I will dissassemble it and look at the CV itself and see it it just needs a boot kit. Actually, I should do inner and outer on both shafts. Does anybody know where you can buy the band-clamp plyers? I've only taken these apart before. I have never actually put them back together. Thanks again, Kary
Old 05-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Sufnituning
Addict
Rennlist Member

NAPA or Auto Zone sell for a good price
The other option is buy from a tool truck Snap-on, Mac, price is high but have lifetime replacement no question ask... :-)

Cheers Csaba
Old 05-17-2004, 09:09 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I just picked up a band clamp plier from Advance Auto. Cost was ~$8.

If you don't want to invest in the special pliers, a pair of side cutters will work held at 90 degrees to the clamp.

Quick Reply: Shafted by the halfshaft!