Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Latch not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 10:39 PM
RC944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Latch not Engaging

On my 944 Turbo, the right rear (passenger side) latch doe not engage. This prevents the hatch from being opened by the switch forward and it does not seal properly. Welcome any ideas on how to fix this.
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:26 PM
JNewton918
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the hatch pin seat and see if they've deteriorated. I had the same issue with my rear hatch and bought these replacements and in the instructions it explains how to adjust the hatch pins too.

Hatch Pin Seats:
https://only944.com/partscatalog/only/hatchpinseats/

Instructions for Installing:
https://only944.com/instructions/hpsinstructions/
I'd start with inspecting those and then possibly adjusting the hatch pins, it's super easy.

Best Regards,

James N.

The following users liked this post:
RC944 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 09:58 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

There are plastic locating inserts down in the receivers that deteriorate over time.. by now most of them are gone and people dont even realize they should be in there. I think Only944 carries them.
once you have looked at everything and replaced the worn parts remove the taillights… this will allow you to access the nuts for the receivers and open and close the hatch manually without having to climb inside to release it. From here you can adjust pin length and center the receivers.
as a side note take a look at your hatch, when people experience this problem it is usually a result of new hatch struts that have more power, resulting in the glass pulling off the frame, combine that with deteriorated inserts that dont “ hold” the hatch it has allot of force on it and it moves and mis-aligns itself.
btw get the rubber seals from only 944 as well.. makes tailight removal Ez the next time..good luck
The following users liked this post:
RC944 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 09:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Those delrin hatch pin seats are fantastic! However... the o-ring that wraps around them (providing tension) may need to be switched out for a stronger one. I found the one they came with left the assembly too loose.

You can buy a pack of cheap o-rings and experiment. With the receiver in hand, pop it onto the hatch pin, clicking it closed, and see if it's loose. If it doesn't click closed, use weaker o-ring; if it's too loose, stronger one.

FYI good luck trying to adjust the hatch pins themselves! If they are anything like mine, they're probably frozen solid and you'll break them trying to loosen. If they are evenly setup, just leave them be and fiddle with the receiver until it clicks solid then re-install as per instructions on Only944 site

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 03-15-2023 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Rear Latch not Engaging