Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

sludge under the oil fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:27 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sludge under the oil fill cap

what is this crap? is it normal? i know you can get the dreaded milkshake of death on it should you blow a head gasket. but what would that look like? what color and what texture?

i'm going to change the oil this weekend and see if everything checks out ok, but i was concerned i may have an unexpected surprise. what would the other symptoms be of a blown hg?

sorry, no pics. wiped the dried gunk off and checked the oil level, seemed ok.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was there? It was dry?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:11 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its just a light film, then that is ok, if looks like a milkshake, check your oil cooler seals.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:12 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue - always had some water accumulation on the oil filler cap. I went through the whole process of changing out seals and getting retrofit/updated parts for the oil cooler housing, changing the head gasket, all to no avail.
Turned out to be a simple fix – was caused by an aftermarket ‘cooler’ radiator fan switch ... the oil was never getting hot enough to burn the water off. I only discovered this after my old fan switch broke and I needed to replace.
Anyway, I'd advise you to check to see that your thermal fan switch is the correct (stock) version and not a 'cooler' one and see if this corrects the problem.

In the interests of full disclosure, I guess I should admit that I live in Seattle ... lots of water vapor about.

Quick Reply: sludge under the oil fill cap