Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 facing a Total Loss situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:18 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car had a salvage title put on it in 1988. brought back in 1989. i have it insured just fine...... i pay 640 a year for liability. (comp and collision arent worth it)
Old 05-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your car is in a towing yard.

Be advised, they charge high storage fees and every day the bill gets higher and higher. Before you know it, the storage bill will double the value of your car. This is how the tow yards steal so many cars from people.

The first thing I would do is get it out of there, NOW!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condiser this.

Get a PCA Evaluation. My 87 951 1 1/2 years ago was valued at $9000-$16000 with an average of $12,000. I think the values have gone down, but contact PCA and get evaluation.

Argue that if it's $10,000 to fix, and worth $10,000+, cut you a check.

If it's totalled, use the PCA value to fight the "stinkin, low, rediculous, we all know you can't get decent 951 for $5000" KBB value!

OR perhaps tell the insurance company that you will accept $5000 in repair money, since you don't want to take them to court argueing that the KBB is unreasonable.

I PROMISE THE KBB IS BAD INFO. SEARCH EBAY, SEARCH RENNLIST, SEARCH AUTO-TRADER. IT WOULD BE AN EASY ARGUMENT TO WIN IMO, THERE ARE NO DECENT 951'S AT $5000
Old 05-13-2004, 03:38 PM
ian kam
Racer

can you decide not to make a claim and just pay for the repair yourself. Mine was much worse than that front passanger fender and had slight back panel damage and it came to 5k canadian. Thats with a 1k new porsche rim. I was suprised to find out a 91 951 is still book value of about 34k canadian. My insurance company here didnt even fight to have it repaired.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:39 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

heh, i didnt get a decent one for 7400
Old 05-13-2004, 04:37 PM
944Willie
Instructor

BTDT and got the T shirt. In Calif. The first one after I had finished it I had the CHP verify the car (turn signal,all lights, aim of head lights, horn, brakes, steering, legal tire tread). That was it, they signed that it was operational sound on a form they had which took to DMV and they rechecked the lights and horn. I received a salvage title which was good for any insurance company. My second one I did the same thing then registered it out of state ( any state will do) then re registered it in Calif, with a clean title. I have since found out it is done ALL THE TIME by less honorable dealers without making all the repairs. This will provide a clean title but not a clean carfax report. Each time I sold the cars I told them about it being a salvage and even wrote it on the bill of sale, had them sign it and kept a copy for me. May not have been required by I felt better about it. At least he could not come back later and say I hid anything from him. Process a little old ( about 10 years) but I think it is still correct.
Good Luck
Old 05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

At least here in TN and in NC as has been discussed here before, some states will not let you put comprehensive back onto a car with a salvage title. Find out first what rules apply in your state. Hard to believe in TN, as you can get away with driving just about anything here with tires and a license plate!
Old 05-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Guys - I know used parts costs are low, however, the vast majority of insurance companies will not allow you to rebuild with used parts, especially on a clean title car. The liability for them, and the repair shop, is too large in the event the used part fails and causes another accident. This is why the figures will be much higher than a DIY job. You must base the damage off new OEM parts to get the accurate figure.

Now, if they salvage it, you can do with it what you please..... but then you have the insurance issue to deal with.

It sucks big.. be patient and work the system.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:23 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Don't part it! Sheesh!

I have a salvage title car... It has a "repaired" waver that comes with the paperwork... Registered and insured fine... Some cities/states actually let you get a regular title for the car if you can prove all damages have been certifiably repaired...

Selling it on the other hand could pose a problem.. Take lots of pictures and keep all receipts as proof. The salvage title is why I got such a good deal on my car (about half the going rate). But the car had more underlying damage that I have payed for out the a$$... But if you like the car and love to drive it, you wouldn't sell it anyway!

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

There are local norcal guys that can help you. Where are you norcalers?
~Eyal
Old 05-14-2004, 01:16 AM
loitsang@yahoo.com
8th Gear

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, here is the latest news:

The insurance company has come back, only prepared to write a check for $4400. I argued this for about 2 hrs trying to prove it worth more but in the end they just said take it or leave it.

Their 10K estimate to get it fixed was from an independant inspector, not affiliated in anyway with the insurance and like Perry 951 said earlier, based off all new Porsche parts.

I have therefore decided to withraw my claim altogether and try to get it fixed myself. This way I have some value left in the car, avoids the salvage title problems, but my insurance will still go up becuase they said they have it as totaled on thier records (plus the point on the license for making the claim) Will not be re-newing with them thats for sure.

1) Any other suggestions on getting this fixed / things to look out for that can save a few more $$$ now that its coming all out of my own pocket

2) I will be taking it to a "friend-of-a-friend" body shop to get it repaired becuase I do not have all the tools. Any suggestions for places in the Bay Area (Burlingame, CA) that can supply these kind of parts??
Old 05-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

You don't have to be bullied by them!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
ian kam
Racer

well when you goto insure it again else where ther will be no hisory of a claim and insurance will remain low. With all the used parts out there I would fix it yourself. Alot of those parts are simple bolt on and hope that everything under the nose piece is still straight.It doesnt look like a high mechanism of force i bet everything is fine. Like i said mine was way worse and the soft metal took the force away from anything structual. As alot of cars are designed to do. Good luck
Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
sailracer
Intermediate

What insurance Company did you have? CSAA handled a claim for me a couple of years ago with much better results. If the car will be available for salvage i would be interested in buying it. This must be done soon or as stated above the storage yard will tyr to steal the car from you with theit storage fees! chuck@wcs-ca.com Stockton CA
Old 05-14-2004, 04:07 PM
sailracer
Intermediate

What insurance Company did you have? CSAA handled a claim for me a couple of years ago with much better results. If the car will be available for salvage i would be interested in buying it. This must be done soon or as stated above the storage yard will try to steal the car from you with their storage fees! chuck@wcs-ca.com Stockton CA

Quick Reply: 951 facing a Total Loss situation