Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scariest moment in the 951!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Chas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scariest moment in the 951!

Driving down the highway around midnight...everything electrical starts to flicker (naturally engine starts to die)...pull off of highway to shoulder and see smoke from hood...pop the hood

...and

FIRE!!!

At least it was a small one that I could easily blow out. One of the main positive cables that goes from the battery across the engine bay to (I assume???) the fuse box was RESTING ON MY DOWNPIPE!!! It eventually melted through to the bare wire...and well you know what happens then. I was able to rig it up and tape it so that I could make it the rest of the way home.

Where can I buy complete wire sets to rewire my car, as I don't want ANYTHING LIKE THIS ever...EVER happening again!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:57 PM
DAR951
Pro

Not sure if he's till in the "business" but the hands down best place to go for wiring upgrades on our cars is a Rennlister by the screen name of "Iceshark". Do a search and you'll find a ton of posts... Try PM'ing him to see if/what he may still have available.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:45 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Do all of our cars have that cable running across the downpipe?? the 1600+ degree downpipe?????
Old 05-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Chas
Pro

it is supposed to run down about 4 inches away from it, but somehow mine ended up resting on it...might be something for anyone concerned to check on!

Look at at the positive terminal of your battery, and find the two thick cables that exit the battery area (going towards the engine) through the same plug. That is, two big positive cables both going out of one plug towards the engine. One of these goes across the back of the engine bay, grouped with some other wires, heading towards the fuse box. It then dives down by the oil fill tube and disappears out of site rear of the downpipe.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:55 PM
951carter
Racer

It goes to the starter.

You should also check to make sure that the fuel line update has been done to your car, it's not pretty when they leak and drip on the headers!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

The cables going down to the starter should have a P-clip around them that is secured by one of the bolts attaching the torque tube to the bellhousing. I don't recall if it is the upper or lower bolt but the wires only allow it to attach at one place.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Chas
Pro

yeah fuel line update has already been done.....

so I guess a new starter cable might be in order, giving that I have about 4" of exposed wire....any tricks to getting to the starter?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a little heat-shield over the balance-shaft cover that covers the oil-feed line to the turbo. There's some brackets that come off this heat-shield with two holes in them. The alternator cables that go to the starter and battery should be on top of this bracket and clipped in place. The clips broke on mine a long time ago, so I just loop some zip-ties through those two holes and clamp down on the wires.

Speaking of fires, I had another one within 2-days on my car. I had removed the rear wiper-motor a couple years ago and had taped over the wires. I then taped the wires to the underside of the hatch with duct tape. Apparently what happened was the tape I used to cover the ends had deteriorated and caused some of the wires in the wiper-motor circuit to touch each other. This short caused so much current to flow that it overheated the wiper-switch on the center console. This eventually heated up the metal connectors to the point where it ignited some paper tape covering the switch.... grr...
Old 05-13-2004, 06:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The last bill I got was the scariest
Old 05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my positive cable, that same one, just a couple of months ago when I found that the PO had just wired a broken positive end to my battery...what a doofus. I have a red top mounted on its side, so I didn't see it right away when I got the car...

Anyway, there are normally 2 metal brackets that have a nut that secures them to a stud in a couple of places on the car, one near the back of the engine and one down close to the starter. If those are gone that cable would be much looser.

The heat shield has 2 bolts that come down near the crossover pipe. They do not come out (and can't without removing the crossover), just loosen them up and the shield will slide out toward the rear of the car, it's slotted in there. Starter is a cinch to get to and remove compared to some cars.

I put the Iceshark one in and it's super nice and I HIGHLY recommend his kit. I have a few more of his cables yet to install, but I will be as I can get them all in. Superb, superb stuff.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Chas
Pro

if anyone has any pictures, that would be awesome, as I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

Chas...

Go to "search" function... type in "iceshark and pictures", you will be rewarded!!!

Ain't cheap, but My God... there ain't none better!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

Chas...

Go to "search" function... type in "iceshark and pictures", you will be rewarded!!!

Ain't cheap, but My God... there ain't none better!!!

Jim 1987 944S

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in the 951!