Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intake manifold is off - what to check

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake manifold is off - what to check

I decided to finally re-do the vacuum lines on my car, and also fix whatever oil leaks I can... at the moment I have the intake manifold off, as well as most of the vac lines.

The oil dipstick seal had pretty much disintegrated so I'm definately replacing that. I'm also suspecting the air/oil seperator, but it looks like it's going to be a pain to get off... I need to get under the car to get it out, right?

Now the real question, what other stuff should I do while I have the manifold off? I don't think I'll have enough time/courage to dismantle much more items off the engine... at least there's the ISV, how does one clean/service it? What else?

Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oil air seperator needs to have the turbo off to get the bottom bolt out, you can get it off from above the car. Turbo removal will require you loosen some bolts from underneath the car. Make sure you check the rear balance shaft seal as well. ISV: Take a can of carb cleaner and just spray the heck out of it until it comes clean.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a large O-ring just under the cap at the top of the air-oil separator that you can replace. It's about 70-80mm in diameter. Scott Gomes actually carries those in stock for replacement I think.

The other thing is the rear balance-shaft seal. Is yours leaking? Can't replace it without fully taking the front-end of the car apart, but you can clean and cover the rear cap with epoxy while you're there.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to what Karl2bdc said on the ISV, you can pray it open in case you are interested in seeing how worn (close to “dying”) the commutator is. I did so and believe mine has 6 months left. So I bought a new one ready to install in case of idle problems or next time the manifold is off.
Old ISV’s can also leak air through the connector and hardened O-ring. I sealed mine with J&B Weld.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold is off - what to check