Custom Intake Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 05:21 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Intake Heat Shield

I fitted my custom intake heat shield yesterday and like how it fits. I originally fabbed two identical heat shields for sealing the intake to cold air on a friend's car (non-Porsche) last summer, but ended up needing neither. The dimensions weren't identical on the 951 obviously, but the only bothersome one of it all is the larger diameter connection. It took me about 45min in the garage to modify one shield to bot fit under the hood and have correct mounting holes. I then installed it and snapped a couple shots.

As you can see, it currently only aids in low speeds really, as it blocks the heat radiation from the nearby turbo. When the intake is relocated, however, in front of the driver's side wheel well, it will both block heat radiation and seal the conical air filter to the outside air, forcing it to breathe cold, fresh air that moves nicely into the AFM/MAF at higher speeds as well.

Here are a few pics to show you my custom intake heat sheild:

Old 05-07-2004, 05:26 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now all you need is some kind of snorkel to get that cold air from the fender in somehow...
Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how well does the hood close? have you thought about making a custom j-boot until you get a maf/map and stick the cone filter over by the inner fender? what is that made out of?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:39 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I want to have a buddy make a custom J pipe to re route, but can't seem to get the stock AFM to be able to fit to do this with out taking out the headlight

Anyone know the best way???
Old 05-07-2004, 12:41 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

if you can getone made for the re route of Stock AFM. let me know how much Kevin
Old 05-07-2004, 01:56 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't BoostGuy fabbing some AFM relocation pipes to go with his next batch of IC pipes?

Max
Old 05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"Now all you need is some kind of snorkel to get that cold air from the fender in somehow..."

Well NZ, I'm going to wait until the relocation pipe and IC pipes are here from Joe... whenever I can pay for them

"how well does the hood close? have you thought about making a custom j-boot until you get a maf/map and stick the cone filter over by the inner fender? what is that made out of?"

The hood closes just fine, Sterm, that was what took me most of the fitting time, using a grinder to smooth out the transverse vertical side to allow it to fit! It's made of two angled, thin-gauge steel sheet metal peices of my dimension linked by a sinlge piece of Al. angle iron with 6 rivets. The assembly is covered in reflective heat gaurd (the sticky kind).

"I want to have a buddy make a custom J pipe to re route, but can't seem to get the stock AFM to be able to fit to do this with out taking out the headlight

Anyone know the best way???"

Joe, BoostGuy951, is making a relocation pipe soon enough that I and mant others will use to get out intakes to the fender area.

"if you can getone made for the re route of Stock AFM. let me know how much Kevin"

Thats why I stuck with the 3-side design. I wanted to make sure I could use this same heat shield when I relocate so that it will also double to seal off the filter to an outside air source.

"Isn't BoostGuy fabbing some AFM relocation pipes to go with his next batch of IC pipes?"

...see above
Old 05-07-2004, 08:08 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Good plan, are you going to make a box in that cavity as well?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:37 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Well this one will actually be sealing the intake in that cavity in front of the driver's side wheel well when I move the AFM over there... if modification is necessary to the design, so be it. I'm hoping to have exact dims to match the location change so Joe and I might be able to market them together in the future.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:54 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Nice, I cant wait for my pipes, as I am having to get a bigger BOV and matching port, so I cant run boost till I get them... I have had to change the config a bit ut its sorted now. I think I will have to mount the BOV on the other side of the IC pipe as the BOV is too big!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Are you planning on some kind of through hood ducting to exhaust the hot air that is currently going through the intercooler directly to your shielded air intake?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Steve, not really... the way I see it, this is mostly to prevent the engine from sucking in the turbo heat somwhat. The air passing over the IC isn't as cold as I would like, but it's certainly cooler then the turbo-heated air from behind it. Like I said before, this is mostly for slower speed before the air whips by the intakeand pushes the heated air behind the engine.

My next project will bring some more air into the area and aid more in cooling again. I will be purchasing a nose panel and dimensioning a custom vent for it to get more air over the IC.

This intake heat shield isn't doing it's full job until I relocate the AFM and filter over in front of the wheel well and use the shield to seal off the intake, but I wanted to see how it effected performance as it is now.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:41 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Whle we are on the point of intake temps. I have my filter next to the expansion tank (not in behind light but will be when new intake made) and the intake temps are 20 degrees hotter than ambient, even at 100kph. This is with a ceramic coated turbo and full DEI wrap.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:10 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Geez! Thanx for the info NZ... did you measure this with some intake temp gauge? If so, where was it placed exactly. Please explain, this is interesting to know.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:14 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Please note: NZ951 with more Excellent information. Right on Drew!!!

Quick Reply: Custom Intake Heat Shield