Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: The tools Porsche never expected you to use

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:34 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of hammers. I hit everything with a hammer. Be it a Hand Sledge, or rubber mallet. I use alot of MAPP gas too.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:32 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

peanut butter........paper clip....
Old 05-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chewing gum on a big flathead screwdriver to hold the nut to reattach the top steering shaft universal joint.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Short "Two-by" lumber...

2X4s to hold the hood up
2X8s to make the angle shallower driving up the ramps

Come to think of it, the 951 is no stranger to wood - the passenger's feet rest on a piece...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:04 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, most of those seem like basic shop tools to me. Well except the golf club....must be a small *** wrench. I think Sh944 has it all beat. he took an offset wrench for an old Model T car, and just ground it to a 24mm i believe. It's odd offset design makes it work for the timing belt rollers, offset just right to get at the oil pressure sender unit, amongst many other jobs.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:11 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

17mm bolt with 2 nuts locked together on it to try and take off the gearbox oil drain hole and filler hole.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:52 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by slim_boy_fat
17mm bolt with 2 nuts locked together on it to try and take off the gearbox oil drain hole and filler hole.

hey...I've got one of those ...welded up too
Old 05-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Service-engineering is a thing they missed out on. Such as requiring TWO 17mm wrenches to adjust the alternator belt or TWO 13mm wrenches for the power-steering pump. If they thought more about the service end, like the Japanese cars, they would have used one 17mm and one 18mm locknut on the alternator adjustment. And a 13mm/14mm combo on the power-steering... Damn Hans & Frans engineers..

Bicycle pin-spanner tool - holds the front-cover to the balance-shafts really well so I can tighten/loosen the bolt.

Screwdrivers over 2-feet long - really handy for tightening down hose-clamps that are deep down. I've even managed to loosen the hose-clamp for the wastegate from the top once.

15mm box-wrench with 13" handle welded on - this is my secret tool to remove the one turbo-flange bolt that has the nut welded onto the crossover. It can only be reached from underneath and you can't really get a socket & ratchet on the bolt because clearance is too tight. But a normal box-wrench doesn't give you enough leverage. I've found that 13" (about 4" longer than the wrench) is the maximum length you can have within that space.

6mm 1/4" drive allen-socket - the manual and most people use a long allen-key with T-handle. I've found it's faster to use a 1/4" drive socket with extensions so I can use electric ratchets or air tools.

valve-compressor from C-clamp - handy to hold valve-spring compressed while you remove and install the keepers.

etc., etc., etc... These cars are actually pretty simple and don't require that extensive of a custom tool selection. I've made more custom tools for my motorcycles than anything else. At 2am the night before a race one time, I even made a carb-synchronizer out of aquarium tubing and grenadine syrup...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you can eliminate making tools if you just buy a good set of racheting gear wrenches. Those things make working on a porsche so much easier. Best tools you can own in my opinion.

Quick Reply: OT: The tools Porsche never expected you to use