What's this( A/C related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 02:50 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's this( A/C related)

OK a little background. i just fixed(kind of)my a/c but it's performance is marginal. if it's not to hot out it's ok and thats the reason i need a/c for when it's hot. i've been reading and looking and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.

I did find a lever on the driver's side, very close to the back of the radio, that is in the foward position(towards front of car), when i move it back i close or open a flap and i get more flow out of the central vent. witch way should it go front or back.

what is this, it looks like the expansion valve. also it looks like it has a **** that you can adjust(the one with the slot for a screwdriver). is this to adjust the superheat setting, should i mess with it.

i need COLD air

TIA
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2004, 05:57 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That senses the temp of the evaporator and cuts off the compressor so it doesn't freeze up. I wouldn't mess with it as it's set correctly at the factory. Have you checked your pressures with a guage set?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:24 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Refrigerant

Have you checked the sight glass on your receiver/dryer unit to see how much refrigerant you have in the system? Maybe you are low on refrigerant or you have air stuck in the system.

Greg W.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:02 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, let me refrase. i took the car to an A/C tech. twice.the second time he added more refrigerant, but told me that it did not leak before he just put some more. he also said that because the system was ment to use R-12 and not the new HC-12 or watever they use now thats not R-134. it might not be to efficient. but there has to be something i'm missing. it can't be that bad.

oh! and this was last week.

TIA
Old 05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Pressure test

Cantresjr,

Okay, based on what you are saying it is possible that they put too much refrigerant in. I forgot if I read this in the factory service manual or on one of the various automotive air conditioning websites, but putting in too much refrigerant can also result in lack of cooling.

There's a factory sticker in the engine compartment near the driver's side headlight that tells you how much R-12 refrigerant the system was originally supposed to be filled with. Since the R12 replacements such as R134 or Freeze 12 (which is what I use) have different densities, the total weight of the R134 (or whatever the tech used) in your system at full charge will be different than the original R12 specs. When someone "tops off" the system, they may not know how much refrigerant was already present. So, how did they determine how much refrigerant to add? And, did they top-off your system with the same type of refrigerant as what was already in the system? Not all refrigerants are compatible with each other.

As 951Tom mentioned, you should have the system pressure checked at this point. The factory manual gives the pressure specs for a properly charged system. If the system pressure is correct, then you can rule out the refrigerant as the problem.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I just performed a purge & recharge on my own car a few weeks ago, so I learned by making a few mistakes and possibly killing a small patch of the ozone layer.

Best Regards
Greg W.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks, GW, but this guy is porsche knowledgable( or so i believe by the number of porsches that were there and my friend that told me to go there). plus the first time he did it it was worst. he told me about the pressures but i forgot, 32 over 200 or something like that.

by the way the temp inside the ducts is 58 degrees
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

I can get my duct temp down to about 38 degree's using R134A. That number rises into the low to mid 40's on a very hot day.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:30 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

see theres somethig definetly wrong, "can't get more power captain"

Quick Reply: What's this( A/C related)