Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear end rocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004 | 02:58 AM
reno928s
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end rocks

I posted once before about this problem but no remedies as of yet. When driving my car the rear end feels as if I am in a boat, it feels to springy or sways. Could this be rear shocks or springs? I changed the bushings for the swaybar but it still feels the same.. A quick scenario, if I am coming around a turn fast or slow the rear end pitches out which is fine, but then it pitches back in so it goes left to right left to right just like a boat does the front is stable. TIA, Reno
Old 05-04-2004 | 12:02 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear shocks and shock mounts sound bad. Also, rear torsion bar bushings (no springs at the rear unless you removed the torsion bar) check those out. But i MOSTLY suspect the rear shock mounts as they tend to cause play, but not like a boat though
Old 05-04-2004 | 01:28 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you checked your alignment settings or done something recently to knock it out of alignment?

When the problem first started, was it a gradual worsening (likely shocks and/or bushings) or sudden change (likely out of alignment)?
Old 05-04-2004 | 07:31 PM
Danno
Race Director

Also make sure your swaybar D-bushings are well-greased.
Old 05-05-2004 | 02:01 AM
reno928s
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased this car last August from Cali. When I picked up the car the owner seemed very mild mannered. After I purchased it he told me that he attends some local Porsche club races and that he was going to miss the car, jackass that I am, I told him he can take it for one more spin with me in the car. He does about 120 to 130 mph on the highway shoots for the exit ramp at 100, (mind you the ramp cross over the highway,) sideways into another S, sideways again. So I feel whatever stress or wear is put on the car when driving like he did is my problem. By driving this way could he have worn out the shocks? remember he owned it for two years. Jerome, I never had my alignment checked. Danno, the sway bar bushings are new and greased. Thanks for all the replies, Reno
Old 05-05-2004 | 02:04 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

any grinding in the rear on low speed left/right corners in a parking lot? any grooving of the rear rotors? Any abs light falsing?

correlate that "boat" feeling with the above and I could be the rear wheel bearings. Grab the wheel and give it an in/out shake at the top to check, both on the ground and off.

jason
Old 05-06-2004 | 03:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Hmm, I'd check the shocks and alignment then, although I've found that the dampers in front tends to go out before the rear. Also get an alignment. I prefer the following for a decent street-performance set-up:

FRONT
camber = -2.75 degrees
toe-in = 1/8" total toe-in
caster = 3.5 degrees

REAR
camber = -2.50 degrees
toe-in = 1/32" total toe-in

This is for street driving. On the track, I use camber-plates to increase the camber setting in front to -3.75 degrees. You'll find that the car is much more stable at the limit with these settings compared to what you have now.

Quick Reply: rear end rocks