Which NGK spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rhesus-

Which ones did you get? NGK or Denso? I assume one step colder with the Guru 18psi package.

Max
Old 05-05-2004, 08:10 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

NGK-BPR7ES
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$2.19 each at Napa online. BTW, all the Napa's I have been to had them in stock.

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...num.d2w/report
Old 05-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Danno
Race Director

Just went out to the garage and counted.... 132 spark plugs for my 951 !!! Not including the 8 I installed in customer cars at the dyno last week. Actually I need to throw out about 60 of them since they are the crap Bosch platinums of various kinds, +2, +4, etc. I think I've tried just about every single plug possible. One time out in the boondocks outside of Chico, I even tried... LAWNMOWER plugs to troubleshoot a problem (nope, that wasn't it).

"$2.19 each at Napa online. BTW, all the Napa's I have been to had them in stock."

Matt, your link came up with washers for me. I hate searching on the NAPA website, they always makes you specify a vehicle and sometimes, I know they carry the part I want, but it just happens to belong to some other car. Like I wanted the generic Bosch O2-sensor but it forces me to pick a car-model. Grr...

But NAPA does have some neat stuff at rock-bottom prices. The turbo water-pump sensor, replacement injector connectors, etc. I can't believe that NAPA can actually make money by selling a spark-plug for $1.09... incredible example of the efficiency...
Old 05-06-2004, 03:59 AM
MildMax951
Instructor

This is from the Lindsey Racing website

If your using our plug wires, factory stock or another brand using the BERU connectors, the connectors on these wires are suppressors (resistors). When you use a resistor (suppressor) plug, your suppressing the spark a second time. These BERU spark plugs are "not" resistor plugs. You may get some radio interference particuraily on AM radio stations. We have not had any complaints of FM reception.
Is this true? Having recently had a good look at them while changing plugs
there's no way you can tell from the outside, short of hacking them apart which given the cost of the things you don't want to do.

Anybody got the real facts here?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:05 PM
GaryK
Racer

I switched from the NGK BPR7ES to the Beru Silverstone S7 and there was a noticeable improvement in smoothness. I am using stock Beru wires, and believe Lindsey is correct about the resistors in the connectors. The Silverstone plugs do not have a resistor. My engine is a bit modded, with a test pipe, T04E, MAF, producting 310rwhp at 16psi, and the Silverstone plugs are working great.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:04 PM
JohnNine5One
Track Day

This is prob. a stupid question...when changing your plugs, how do you get the rubber thing off where the plug sits?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
JohnNine5One
Track Day

Nevermind, they just pulled right off.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread your plugs back in really carefully. Start them buy hand to avoid cross threading.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:05 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally posted by JohnNine5One
This is prob. a stupid question...when changing your plugs, how do you get the rubber thing off where the plug sits?
Yes...
Old 05-07-2004, 04:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I just got another set of Bosch Platinums WR6. Ran fine ladst time, and still fine. I saw the dual and for electrode ones, but looked just like marketing crap. Just like the Split Fire.

I know I need to put my bigger injectors in ow wit hthe GURU 18psi chips, but the plugs still looked pretty light in color. I have to pull them after the new injectors and take a look.

Danno, were you stil going to be able to sen me a new DME chip that will change the 550 setting on FQS to the 450 setting????

I guess I should hold off on changing out the injectors till I get the chip or I will be running real rich. Or, I could just turn up the boost
Old 05-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Danno
Race Director

Todd, with the 18psi chips, I recommend 2-ranges colder than stock. Also you're one of the few that can hold max-boost close to flat all the way to redline, so this is a good test. If you're not racing the car at full-throttle all the time. Shouldn't be a problem with 1-range colder than stock plugs.

The thing with multi-electrode tips is that yes, it's pure marketing BS. The spark will carve out a path of least resistance through the air-gap. So the way it works in real-life is that the spark will jump to the electrode with the smallest gap (closest to the center electrode). Once that path is ionized, ALL of the spark energy will then flow through that same path. You will never, ever be able to gap all the multiple tips just perfect that they have identical gaps to get two sparks jumping, impossible. Besides, that would just split the power, better to have one big spark rather than two whimpy ones.

Yup, you're in the queque for a chip with 450cc/min settings.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Danno, sorry on the link. In the upper search box type in the NGK number it works and brings up options as well. BTW - I hate their site too.

Quick Reply: Which NGK spark plugs?