Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Please help with diagnosing oil smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:21 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with diagnosing oil smoke...

Well, I have a problem with my 951 that I can't figure out. I bought the car not running and sent the turbo out for rebuilding. The PO said that the turbo was bad and causing oil smoke out the tailpipe. Well, after getting the turbo rebuilt and installed, it still smoked. Anyway, I decided the next easiest thing to do was to replace the valve stem seals. By the way, the engine has good compression and no blowby. I finished the valve stem seal job today, and fired it up and still it smokes. The conditions are that it only puffs out smoke after a deceleration. It will also smoke at a high idle.

Are there any chances that the headgasket could be leaking oil into the #1 cylinder? This is the only cylinder that I know of that has the problem. It is bad enough to foul the spark plug after about 50 miles. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm getting frustrated.

Ian
Old 05-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unlikely to be the head gasket. If the compression is OK it's probably bad guides. A leakdown test will help pinpoint the problem, but it sounds like your head will have to come off regardless.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure sounds like valve guides to me. Since it seems to happen in high vacuum situations and not under acceleration, I'm going to go say it's the guides. If it's fouling the plugs, that's really a lot of oil. Not likely to be the head gasket.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
sailracer
Intermediate

Default smoke im if you got em (Ihate that line)

I had a similar problem after replacing the cam box gasket and all of the valve guide seals and the turbo. It took a week of driving to get all of the oil out of the intake tract and vent hoses even after cleaning the intercooler with carb cleaner. My advise drive it for a while and see what happens. How is your oil comsumption before my repair I was using 1 quart per tank now I am 1/2 Quart per 1000 miles.

Quick Reply: Please help with diagnosing oil smoke...