Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP - first timer doing timing belt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:51 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP - first timer doing timing belt!!!

it sure is nice to have all you guys at my finger tips!!

anyhow, i am installing a new timing belt, balance shaft belt, rollers, tensioners, water pump, etc... on the frt of my '88 951 - i am decent mechanic and know my way around 911's BUT this is my first 951 experience - i am at the point of reinstalling the balance shaft rollers (gears) and i noticed the gears have two different key way locations(?) i understand i need to set the gears in the correct position when installing the belt (as marked in the timing belt cover and the balance shaft gears)

BUT which key way do you mount the gear on - depending on the key way you use the position of the balance shaft will be different (?) at the moment both balance shaft key ways are facing up (north) - help!! anybody out there that can give me some advice!!

in addition, anybody have an adjustable timing gear they want to get rid of??? and, are there any quick, easy and inexpensive mods i can do while the girl is all apart(?)

thanks
bunches
tom
Old 05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

It's written better at Clark's Garage than I can do. This is the instruction that I used.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-08.htm

Quick Reply: HELP - first timer doing timing belt!!!