Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New leak help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 10:27 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New leak help

Hi all. After my last drive, I discovered a small puddle of... something underneath the car, and could use some help figuring out where to look. Doesn't smell like gas and isn't thick like oil. First time any leak has been serious enough to actually leave traces on the garage floor.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:11 AM
Spdygon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be power steering fluid
Old 07-11-2022, 06:58 AM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The lighter color and location makes me think of brake fluid, which could be from a leak above from either the master cylinder, tank, clutch master cylinder, blue hose connection (if manual), or other brake lines.
Check the level in the reservoir...
May need to remove the plastic covers to trace, as once fluid hits the plastic or metal covers, tends to mask the source.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:22 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 279 Posts

Possible that it's AC compressor oil.
Looks grungy under there, definitely need to remove the under tray/s to see if above the compressor is wet.
What is the jackstand in contact with? Be sure of that support before going under!
Old 07-12-2022, 03:55 AM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Possible that it's AC compressor oil.
Looks grungy under there, definitely need to remove the under tray/s to see if above the compressor is wet.
What is the jackstand in contact with? Be sure of that support before going under!
The last drive I took the car on, the only thing I did differently vs previous drives was crank the climate control fans to their maximum to defog the windshield. AC hasn't worked in the time I've had the car; could something have given up the ghost?

Jack stands are in contact on these spots on both sides. I had seen the various warnings about not putting them on the round spots at the corner of the wheel wells and went with something that looked sturdier:

Quick Reply: New leak help