Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transmission/engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 12:24 AM
kos_007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission/engine

How much is a good used transmission these days ? A friend of mine has a 1986 951 with a transmission which does not hold 2-d gear. A rebuilt would cost 3-4k, so I wonder if a swap for a good used one would make more sense. I found one on Ebay with all kind of 951 stuff for 1.5k - what do you think ? Also, what kind of cylinder scoring is too bad to mandate a rebuilt ?

Old 06-06-2022, 06:54 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You may get a perfectly serviceable replacement transaxle on eBay or you could get another trans that needs to be rebuilt. It's a gamble unless you get some warranty or guarantee from the seller. Yes, the 944 transaxles are expensive to rebuild but if you go with a reputable shop, you know that you're getting essentially a new transaxle, some kind of warranty and it's good for another 100k+ miles. I recommend you rebuild the transaxle.

As for the engine, you should probably do some non-intrusive investigation before assuming you need any kind of rebuild. Do a compression/leak-down test. Send an oil sample to one of the engine oil test labs. If you're already into the engine and have the cylinder head off, as a general rule, if you can feel a groove with your finger nail, it's excessive and will need some attention.

I've seen some crazy posts from folks with excessive cylinder wear, but it's usually from some kind of abuse (eg. oil starvation) and not just from lots of miles. An engine rebuild can be much more than the trans rebuild if you let things get carried away ;-)

More details may help answer your questions better. Good luck!

-Bill
Old 06-06-2022, 11:00 PM
kos_007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I am looking at Ebay listing: Porsche 944 turbo/951 engine, 2 heads, cam tower, exhaust, transmission | eBay
I think it's a good deal for $1500.
Tony.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kos_007
So, I am looking at Ebay listing: Porsche 944 turbo/951 engine, 2 heads, cam tower, exhaust, transmission | eBay
I think it's a good deal for $1500.
Tony.
I agree, that's a good deal for all those parts especially if you need them, but all are unknowns. If your goal is to collect parts or resell parts, it's a great deal. If your goal is to get your friend's car back on the road, you're gambling with time and money using unknown variables.

IMO, the best solution would to buy a parts bundle like this one, have the used engine a trans rebuilt, and then swap them out. Having a non-running and partially parted car sitting around for 12 months is a pita. At least you can drive it/move it while your new stuff is being rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Transmission/engine