Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I'm thinking of converting

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US spec cars, airbags STANDARD as of 1987. ABS however was not standard on 87 cars. Mine does not have it. If I were looking for a 951 again, I'd be looking for an LSD tranny, but that norrows your search to like 20% of turbos for sale. the 951 will be much cheaper to maintain then the 928. the 928 parts are the most expensive in the porsche world, so you may breathe a sigh of releive when you have to replace something that we will bitch about in terms of price. As long as you buy a well maintained 951, it shouldn't give you much trouble at all.
as for this statement:
"in many cases there are locals willing to do weekend wrenching sessions for nothing more than beer and pizzas"
if Petaluma is anywhere in SoCal, I'm in.
~Eyal
Old 04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: I'm thinking of converting

Originally posted by saxapeeel
How does insurance compare to a 928 S4? hopefully a little cheaper, I want to actually add weight... to my wallet. They are in the same ballpark. I'm 30, married with 2 kids, multiple car & house discounts and pay just under 1K a year for full coverage with a $100 deductible and full glass. This is with state farm so you can find it cheaper.

How about parts? are they just as expensive or even MORE expensive? Again, they're in the same ballpark.

I know a lot of people do not work on the 928, do you usually have a hard time finding somebody to do anything on your car? (I just moved here to phoenix and do not have a mechanic of my own yet). I hate to plug this (we'll not really) but I do quite a bit of work on 944's & 951's for the phoenix crowd and can save you 50% or better on all repair costs if you're interested. I keep the group of cars I work on fairly small (about 15 regulars) and can give you many references. If you decide to go the shop route, I wouldn't use anyone except Don Jackson Enterprises. Locally you have Exotic motorworks (terrible work) , Stuttugart Southwest (rumored to use used parts and they screwed up a fairly simple head recondition for me) and Becks (hard to deal with, average work)

chris.
If you decide to look for a 951 locally I know a few that are up on the block or will soon be. I'd also be willing to do a PPI for you that is much more comprehensive then a shop would give you. PM me if I can be of any help.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:46 PM
saxapeeel
Racer

the insurance on my 928 is way way way way higher than 1K a year. Let me put it this way, about 3 times. 1k a year for insurance would be like absolutly nothing compared to what im paying now.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:38 AM
reno928s
Pro

Chris, I once owned a 928S Euro, I loved the looks of the 928 but the 944 turbo is faster. At high speeds the 928 feels more secure than the 944 Turbo. The only way I would switch back would have to be a 94 or 95 model 928 GT. Reno
Old 04-30-2004, 10:58 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Ok, I stand corrected, thanks

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of converting