Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

someone help me please!! camber prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:21 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default someone help me please!! camber prob

ok ive been searching the forum forever it hink because i thought for sure its been discussed a zillion times but each thread that talks about it doesnt have the answer i need. im sorry its probably dumb
my car was dropped 2-3 inches i believe before i bought it and when i got it the camber was screwed in the rear. oh well i thougth dont care about the yokos on it anyway and let the rears burn thru, didnt drive much in the winter and now im about to buy new tires and id like them to last alittle while.
what ive learned from searching is that the rear camber is adjustable!? how much can i adjust it?? and it takes some sort of special tool maybe? cant find one online.
i took it to ntb last week thinking "oh well i'll have a full alignment and they know whats up so the rear camber will prolly be cool when i get it back" but 120 bucks later and no such luck. why is the front ok and the rear messed up?

what do i need to do to have the rear camber fixed without spending a load of money? or is that the only way? so lost
Old 04-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go get your money back. The shop should've had the proper tools to adjust the rear. Both rear camber and toe is adjusted with the same tool. Also it's not camber that wears out your inner/outer tire-edges, it's the toe setting that's more critical.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

well i believe the toe was adjusted and as far as i know is fine, but the camber is horrible / \ in the rear but the front is fine.
someone else told me that since my car is lowered they can only adjust the camber so much and probably not enough to correct it after being lowered. this true?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" someone else told me that since my car is lowered they can only adjust the camber so much and probably not enough to correct it after being lowered. this true?"

That is absolutely not true. The adjustment ranges on camber and caster can handle any amount of lowering you'll ever want to do. My car is lowered 1.5" and I run the following for even wear across the tread:

FRONT
camber = -2.75 degrees
toe-in = 1/16" total toe-in
caster = 3.5 degrees

REAR
camber = -2.50 degrees
toe-in = 1/32" total toe-in

This is for street driving. On the track, I use camber-plates to increase the camber setting in front to -3.75 degrees.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My shop told me that they could not adjust my rear camber because the adjustments were "frozen". What I don't understand is that they seemed hesitant to heat the eccentric bolt when I suggested it. Is there something that could go wrong if it were heated too much?
Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally posted by Danno
Both rear camber and toe is adjusted with the same tool.

No. Only the toe requires a special tool. The camber is adjusted by an eccentric that has 27 mm flats on it. It is the one with the rear sway bar drop link hanging from it.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 AM
herrtzeber
Instructor

hmmm ok sounds good, thanks alot Danno i really appreciate the help. guess im gonna have to make a run to ntb today and see what there excuse for not fixing it is.

Quick Reply: someone help me please!! camber prob