Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WP/Belts/Seals kit 89S

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 04:23 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default WP/Belts/Seals kit 89S

Brand recommendations? Geba? other's??? Based on keeping this car long term.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:24 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I've had really good results with LASO waterpumps (bought my first set from a Porsche dealer) and have used Conti kits along with the rollers made by INA. Seals, used Pelicanparts...they have many to choose from and have not failed. Be sure to reseal the balance shaft housings as well. Curil-T is also very helpful. Might want to also replace the keys on the crank and balance shafts while you're there. Most important is the installation of all of the above...accuracy is key. While you're in there, you might replace the oil gear on the crankshaft (Porsche part) if it hasn't been replaced from new.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:11 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually order from www.allzim.com for my water pump and belts/rollers kits. They have everything you could need for a rebuild, so any gaskets or oil seals you need, they have. Prices are usually pretty good there. It REALLY helps to get the timing belt tools. You can get a kit on this site, or from arnnworx.com. Some people go all out and get the Genuine timing belt tensioner tool ($$$$), some use a "cricket" ($), and some just go by feel for tensioning the belts ($0). It's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with.

I'm comfortable with Gates/Contitech belts. The t belt is cheap anyways, so you could get Genuine if it gives you peace of mind. The balance belt is expensive no matter what. So I usually try to go with Gates/Conti, since the engine won't explode if this belt ever broke.

As for the water pump, as many have found out the hard way in the past, try to avoid rebuilt units. You will run into problems with it sooner or later, which CAN lead to the engine being destroyed in an instant.

The balance shaft housings use Loctite 574 gasket maker.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:31 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe some confusion on my post. What I intended to say was don’t forget to reseal the front housing or mount of the balance shafts which is sealed with an o-ring. I’ve never had leaks from my bs housing (longitudinal) and it’s not typical maintenance, but does need to be resealed if you have leaks there or at the rear of the housing. On the front of the balance shaft, behind the typical seals that get replaced, is the housing or mount on which balance shaft front seals the balance shaft to the front mount. Here’s a photo and where I’ve used Curil-T as a sealant (doesn’t harden and wipes clean on disassembly) and 911 owners use this successfully. Good luck, hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: WP/Belts/Seals kit 89S