Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ATF in oil before oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 PM
KRhino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This worked wonders on my 86 951 that ended up with very noisey lifters after the car sat for 16 mos. while getting body work and paint job. I added 2 quarts and ran the engine at idle for 15 min. Almost fixed the lifter noise.... so I ran it up and down the freeway by my shop 10 min. No lifter noise now 2.5 years later. By the way my mechanic said there was no way to save the lifters....it was that bad.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Chas
Pro

what kind of ATF should you use when doing this?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Tb311
Racer

Hmm I might give this a try as I will be chainging my oil next week. Do you guys recommend a specific type of ATF or can I just go to pepboys and by any kind?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superjet.1
Yes it works quite well ive been a mechanic all my life when i worked for porsche we would put a half quart of atf in the new cars to quite lifter noise predominate to new cars. I wouldnt put more than a quart in at a time if your not gonna drain the oil it will make your seals swell ive seen it first hand.
If the detergents are supposed to be cleaning out the old crap, why do it to an new car?

Do any of you guys think Porsche recommends this? I think not. If I heard of a shop doing this I'd never take my car to them again.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KRhino
This worked wonders on my 86 951 that ended up with very noisey lifters after the car sat for 16 mos. while getting body work and paint job. I added 2 quarts and ran the engine at idle for 15 min. Almost fixed the lifter noise.... so I ran it up and down the freeway by my shop 10 min. No lifter noise now 2.5 years later. By the way my mechanic said there was no way to save the lifters....it was that bad.
How do you know your lifters wouldn't have gotten quieter without the atf? Happens all the time. You just put in fresh oil and let it run for a while to pump them up.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Chas
Pro

I think it's worth a try...so what brand/kind of atf do you use for this? My oil is a half quart low, so I think I'll top it off with atf for a bit. Also what kind of ATF do you all use for power steering?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 PM
944emt
Cruisin'

What type DO you put in?... Anyone? i assume any type but correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
snappy
Racer

this reminds me of something a school friends father did to older cars in the dealer ship, banana peels in the lifter box, 6 bananas does the trick, it will get rid of lifter knock instantly. makes the engin sound as smooth as a baby's bottom. same thing as trans oil. but a little gunkier, with the newer engine's they just stick it in the blender then pour. only last for about 600 miles but enough for someone to buy a car at a dealer ship

man there are some sharks out there.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my 86, I bought the car after it had sat for ~16 months. I had the oil changed, and after the first oil change, there was very noticeable lifter noise. I drove for 15,000kms trying my best to ignore it. Finally, I added 1 litre of ATF to it, since it was ~1L low. I drove about 2500 km's, then it was about 1L low again, so I added another litre, warmed it up, and changed the oil. (it was time anyways). After this, there was virtually no lifter noise.
That said, I suspect this was more due to running the ATF for 2500km's than the extra litre at oil change time, but my front crank seal, and oil pan began to leak a lot faster (used to leak ~1.5L between oil changes, started to leak 2-2.5L). I would not use ATF for longer than 30 minutes of run-time. That said, I would use it on the first oil change when you buy a used car, and every second oil change until the lifter noise is gone. Essentially, it does exactly the same job as a can of engine flush, but it's a lot less harmful to your engine's internals.

I know of several older porsche and mercedes mechanics that swear by this method. You would think that if it had such ill effects, that they would have seen catastrophic failure by now.... I sleep perfectly well at night after using these methods.

Anyhoo, I used Mobil 1 ATF, since I usually have a bottle or two around the garage (both of my parents drive automatics), however for 30 minutes, I rather suspect that a dino-based ATF would have better effects, since it will contain more detergents and anti-sludge additives than a synthetic-based ATF would have.

Peckster, yes it's designed to be run in a gear-box where there is no combustion taking place (hopefully ), however a gearbox tends to get just as hot as engine oil (sometimes hotter if you are towing), and sees a lot more metal particles floating around. Also, automatic transmissions are one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle, so most ATF's are designed for very long service lifes. For the most part, the additives in them are to prevent sludge from forming, since automatic transmissions rely so heavily on fluid pressure through tiny passages, sludge could cause all sorts of shifting problems. It's these anti-sludge properties that make it so appealing as an engine flush, sinec it's sludge that is causing our lifters to clatter. (That or debris in the oil, which is FAR worse)

Quick Reply: ATF in oil before oil change