Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I may sell my car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I may sell my car!

My car is still giving me issues. I actually got it to start but it runs rough as hell at idle. The shop I took my car to has diagnosed what they could with regards to the MAF, TPS, etc. and they told me that it is probably the DME. I need a used unit for my 1986 951. If not there is no way I want to spend the cash on a new one only to find that it's not the problem. The shop I took it to is good but when I spoke to them yesterday they mentioned that they had never worked on a 944 Turbo with a MAF, bigger turbo, etc. This didn't instill much confidence. It made me wonder if I had just wasted money on a few hours of labor trying to find out what the problem was. This is why I am a little hesitant about buying a DME. There are great shops in the Seattle area but most of them seem to be more 911 friendly, knowledgable. So at this momemt I am really considering selling the car. I don't want to but I also don't want to dump money into this car when I don't feel confident it what a local shop says is the problem. Who knows the problem may be so simple that someone could buy my car pay a few hundred dollars to get it running right and have a fun DE car. I have all receipts for anything and everything done to it in since I have owned it (since Jan. 1999). If there is any interests I will post some more specifics at a later time. If you want you can send a PM or an e-mail to iborroel@ctiseattle.com.

Ignacio

Last edited by iborroel; 02-05-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't sound like a big problem. Just seems like you are sick of the problems with the car. The best advice would be to borrow a DME from a board member (I'd offer to borrow mine if you were closer), get it running nicely again before deciding to sell it.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:04 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

I have my DME out of my '86, and won't be installing it for a month at least, if you want to borrow it. Then at least you'll know if that was the problem. PM me and maybe we can work something out.

I don't know what chips are in it at the moment, maybe you could put yours in... unless they're part of the problem.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Swedeboy: I am sick of this problem. Before this the car was running fine. I had no issues with it. It had been this way for the past couple of years. Of course little things that wear over time need to be replaced. I just don't know if it's worth putting money into since I am not confident in the diagnosis. I am supposed to install coilovers next week so that is money I will be using as well. Granted a friend is going to do it from his own shop/dealership and he is saving me alot of money but it is still money. In the past I would have paid whatever it took to get the car going. Nowadays I pay much more attention as to how I spend money.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

I can understand your frustration, it's the standard niggles of an older car. On the other hand, once they are resolved you tend to forget them again quite quickly.

Point I'm trying to make is if you sell your car for peanuts while you're ticked off about a problem you will end up regretting it later. The picture you post looks like you're really enjoying a nice looking 951.

Hey - if it makes you feel any better I spun the crank bearings in my 951 2 weeks ago...of course I considered selling it, but it's not the cheap nor the easy solution to the problem. (I'm now considering more powerful options... )
Old 04-16-2004, 05:02 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any mechanic that spends several hours on your car and then tells you that they "think" it's the DME is not doing right by you. A decent shop that actually works on an adequate number of these cars wil have immediate access to a spare DME that they know to be good in order to confirm such diagnoses. Otherwise, this is the equivalent of your doctor telling you that your problem is that you don't get enough fiber. If I were you, I'd give it one more shot at a good shop with a dyno in order to sort the car. Even if you want to sell it, you'll have a much easier time if the car works well.

Swapping out the DME takes only 30-60 minutes -- perhaps at least a local rennlister or PCA member will let you test it with theirs. I would if I were in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:11 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I'm in Bellevue.
You can use my dme / klr chips, they are sitting around.

I would highly recommend a second opinion
Fordahl Motorsports in Bellevue
or
Carberator Connection

Fordahl does tons and tons of 951s, I will take my car there for suspension.
the owner of carb conn races his 951 and knows them well.
I use them, they have a dyno

what are you using to control your MAF?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:20 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

emwporsche: Thanks for the offer to use your DME. If for some reason I can't use westcoastprshe's DME I will defintely keep you in mind. Hopefully yours is also off of a 86 951. Yeah I have used Carb Connection before (to tune the car on the dyno) and the owner seems to know his stuff. I just wanted to try a different shop that is in the Redmond area that alot of people seem to use as well. From what I have heard Fordahl is great for suspension work. I asked a local PCA/SCCA club racer about who to go to and he really couldn't recommend anyone that was great at working on modified 944 turbos. I have only been in Seattle for 8 months and this is the first time with a problem with the car. Therefore finding a shop up here is a learning process. Hopefully I'll learn quickly.

Ignacio
Old 04-16-2004, 07:22 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

emwporsche: I have a Stage IV Huntley system that I have been using for the past 4+ years. It uses the ARC II for control. Seem sold since everyone seems to be using a Lindsey Racing, Vitesse (sp?), etc. setup. It has worked well for me this whole time so I haven't seen a need to change it.

Ignacio
Old 04-17-2004, 01:33 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if helps but I have stock DME and KLR for my '87. You can borrow them, or buy them cheap if needed.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:41 AM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

CanyonBlaster: If the DME I borrow locally solves my problem I will defintely be interested in buying your DME. I could be wrong but I think that I can use an 87 DME on an 86 car. Hopefully someone will let me know if this is an incorrect assumption. Send me a PM on how much you would want for the DME. I assume it is in good working order as well. Thanks for letting me know that you have one available.

Ignacio
Old 04-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd find another shop.

Quick Reply: I may sell my car!