944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel odor from charcoal canister?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021 | 12:49 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Default Fuel odor from charcoal canister?

I removed my fender liner for paintless dent removal, and noticed a gas smell with the car parked a few days. I am wondering if it could be coming from my charcoal canister? The lines going to the canister appear to be connected, but I can't tell if the braided one is leaking vapors (since it's braided). I did notice a very short, couple inch hose venting on the botton of the canister. Should this be connected to anything? Anyone know a good replacement and I imagine this shouldn't be a used part as they are all saturated at this point?

Would a bad or saturated canister cause any running problems, rough idle or warm start or the only symptom would be occasional odor from a parked car?

Oh and I replaced my fuel lines and jumper about 6 years ago and they appear to be dry. I have both fender liners off and can't see a fuel leak anywhere.

Thanks.

Last edited by ZPmadA; 11-27-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2021 | 01:40 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

I think I need to remove it and take a better look.

Last edited by ZPmadA; 11-27-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2021 | 08:47 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

The vent hose at the bottom just vents to atmosphere so it’s not connected to anything. Like everything on a 30+ yo car, the sensors and hoses throughout that system are likely due replacement to operate optimally.

Quick Reply: Fuel odor from charcoal canister?