Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021 | 08:33 PM
rogerstopford
Advanced

Default Clutch pedal

Hi, The clutch pedal in my '89 turbo has started a really odd behaviour - it will sometimes just take itself all the way down as far as possible, all on it's own, and then it's jammed down there. After a few seconds I can lift it with my toe. Once I've hauled it back to it's usual position, it behaves normally. The one time I tried to pay attention it seemed like the drive was still engaged - the pedal was all the way down but the clutch was still engaged. Anyone know what would pull the pedal down like that?

Old 11-02-2021 | 09:31 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

You have a bad master or slave cyl… leaking internally.. its spring loaded under the dash so thats why it stays down.. its time.. when one goes the other is not far behind.. replace both.. much easier than trying to figure out wich one is bad.. not worth the time to install, bleed and realize the one you replaced is not the bad one. They are cheap enough.
Old 11-02-2021 | 10:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

+1^^ also replace the hose/line between the master and the slave as it has a flexible portion that seeps oil and lets in air when it gets old, likely it’s original and due replacement anyway. Finally swap out the blue hose at the reservoir too because wyit.
Old 11-03-2021 | 01:10 AM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Sounds normal mine does this all the time. . I already purchased all the items mentioned above but been to lazy to replace. The cost isn't that bad either for all the parts.

Mike G.
Old 11-03-2021 | 11:42 AM
rogerstopford
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I'm sourcing the parts, any guidance on the best how-to? I just watched a couple of YouTube videos (spencerdog and irinia).
Old 11-03-2021 | 03:34 PM
slivel
Racer

Originally Posted by rogerstopford
Thanks for the replies, I'm sourcing the parts, any guidance on the best how-to? I just watched a couple of YouTube videos (spencerdog and irinia).
A pressure bleeder works best, but if you don't have one, people say that raising the rear of the car as high as you can safely get it helps with the geometry in the bleed process. Assemble the new parts (M/C and lines), Leave the slave disconnected. Now fill the reservoir on the M/C and at the slave end put the line (that would go into the slave) submerged in a jar with an inch or so of brake fluid. Then have a second person slowly pump the clutch pedal (by hand because it will stick to the floor each time because of the counter spring). Do not let the fluid level in the reservoir get so low that the feed hole to the M/C is uncovered or you will be starting all over. Air will bubble out of the line in the jar. Stop when no more air is seen. Next try to preload some fluid into the slave. You may be able to do this by submerging the slave cylinder in fluid and depressing the piston in the bore and releasing. Then attach the line quickly to the slave while trying not to let anything drain out. Bolt the slave the the bellhousing and bleed it with the bleed valve.
Old 11-03-2021 | 05:13 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Anyone ever try this method?

Mike G.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal