Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:55 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
$400 machine time but $1500+ pistons...

or $1500 sleeving and $400 pistons

i was gonna build a hot 16v engine back in 2019, picked up Wossners and a block that was supposedly ready to run. turns out it never got final honed. couldn't find a shop within 500 miles of me that knew what Alusil was. even called Sunnen for referrals and they had no idea.
i know of a shop in CA that can do it, a shop in the north somewhere that can do it, and i guess your place too. not great odds unless you like shipping engine blocks.

whereas any competent shop can fit sleeves that can be rebored as needed for any piston you could dream of.

inability to do that 16v motor is what made me sell off all my 944 engines and engine parts and start a swap.
pistons are $400 with rings wristpins ect from wossner 100.5 or 101 At least thats what i get them for. E bay = $ 600 Molinar rods are $600.
i had an mid sleeved block and had to order JE pistons they were $1200.. for 104mm
for me, i like the alusil simply because thats the way it was all designed and with not having crazy boost i am getting the reliability out of it. When these cars were new they got the crap beat out of em.. like the turbo cup cars.. and all the cars that were DE guys back in the day.. no 2 rod bearing was the predominant failure point. And now with windage ports and coated bearings.. got that figured out..
only reason i sold my MID block was that it was illegal to run in pca.. i guess for me its the “ control” aspect as well, i know everything was done according to the design.. and if it blows up i have no one to blame but myself.. but two years of holding it at WOT so far so good.. if i didn't do alusil id go with dry sleeves..
FWIW my friend who had his boxster engine nickasil coated never made more than 5 laps all summer. Come to find out the plating flaked off the cylinder walls..every option has its risks/ pitfalls

Old 11-02-2021, 10:46 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
FWIW my friend who had his boxster engine nickasil coated never made more than 5 laps all summer. Come to find out the plating flaked off the cylinder walls..every option has its risks/ pitfalls
I think there have been a few Nikasil cylinders that have gone farther. The boxster is notorious for this happening. Could be something other than just Nikasil.

Mike G.

Quick Reply: Pistons for 3.0 Turbo - Options?