Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Changing Syn Oils every 3 k is a waste of money - Good Oil Study.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just saw your post - I prefer the Mobil One filters, and will also run Amsoil filters. Neither is cheap, but they're the best filtration available.

Sam
Old 04-14-2004, 04:46 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is my opinion that you can take standard oil to about 5k or so without worrying about it at all, i use to run amsoil in my trucks for 25k between oil changes, and absolutely no problems. A filter can go an easy 6-8k if driven in not too harsh of conditions. In the spring and fall here in KS, the weather is pretty nice, i go 2 oil changes to 1 filter on my truck, and it seems to work out fine, that is changing the oil around 4k though. I doubt i would even have to change the oil at 4k, but i am still a little ****. In the summer and winter i change the filter every oil change but still not before 4k. If i was starting the cars in 30 below weather, i would make sure the oil is changed more often. That is using standard castrol 5w-30

My grandpa use to own a Buick dealership, and back in the 80's he had a woman bring in a car that he had sold to her brand new. Car had about 100k on it. The car was brought in for new tires, and tune up service that she thought it needed since the car had hit 100k. She did not know you had to change oil in the car on a regular basis. She had NEVER had the oil changed in it, nor had a filter changed, she just always add some oil when it got a little low and never had a problem. She didn't know any different. The mechanic dropped the oil drain plug, and nothing came out. Tried to stick a screwdriver up the whole, and hit a block. So they dropped the pan, the oil had built into a sold mass in the bottom of the pan, and the crankshaft had worn a groove in the oil mass as it turned....lol. They cleaned out oil pan, changed the oil, and away she went with no problems. So i agree, as does he, that changing your oil every 3k miles is a ploy by the oil companies to sell you more oil more often. Good marketing though.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
2+2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl, your story is too funny!!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
gstreev
Racer

For what its worth I've had over 10 cars with turbos, always use Synthetic
I change with filter every 5,000 - 6,000 miles in summer, 6,000 - 7,000 in winter, never had an oil related problem, never had to replace a turbo except on a car I bought needing a turbo.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by 2+2
Karl, your story is too funny!!
yea, grandpas are good for funny stories
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately that test doesn't quite mimic real life. From everything we hear, the MOST wear occurs at startup and we turn our cars off everytime we get to a destination where the cabbies leave them running as long as they are in their car, so they rack up a lot of miles without many starts of the engine, which would logically lead to less start up wear and thus less wear within X number of miles.

Originally posted by toddk911
Yep, a big scam by the oil companies

I remember a test I think on Dateline or 60 minutes for 1 year they tested oils in NYC cabs. So, you can imagine the wear and tear.

They tested standard oils and they changed some every 3K, some 6K, 10K etc. They took the engines to the labs and saw NO effects of extra wear on the longer intervall changes. An this was on cabs that were driven in NYC day after day.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:00 PM
smokey
Pro

A New York cabbie once told me his theory on engine longevity: remove the radiator and flush it once a year, and flush the cooling system at the same time. Just a sample of one, but interesting.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

what is the best filter to buy that I can just pick up at pep boys. I bought my 15w50 mobil one and forgot to pick up a filter. I have no time to order a mobil 1 filter, since I have a DE this weekend. (if i get my turbo replaced in time)
~Eyal
Old 04-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Skene, don't put mobil one in yet! go buy some 10w30 or 10w40 DINO oil first. the rod bearings will not break in with synthetic oil. Same reason why most people will dump their mobil one for DINO for the break in period when they buy a new car that comes with it in. I just did exactly what you are doing, but have since reverted back to mobil one.
~Eyal
Old 04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Eyal, that's good advice and I actually did that yesterday. I put synthetic in first to make sure there were no obvious leaks, then drained it and put dino in specificaly for that. I've still got to put the intake manifold back on before I start it up, but it should be good to go once I do.

Quick Reply: Changing Syn Oils every 3 k is a waste of money - Good Oil Study.