Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wheel studs on '87

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel studs on '87

What's the length for the wheel studs on an '87?

Also, what is the thread and pitch of the studs?

If I can't borrow a die and "fix" the threads on a couple of the studs, I will need to replace them ASAP.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

DO NOT attempt to "fix" the threads on the wheel studs with a normal die. The studs are case hardened and will destroy the die and with it the stud possibly. The only real way to fix a damaged wheel stud thread is with a thread file (available at Napa or some other auto parts stores).
Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

If I found a rethreading die, I would try that first. If that didn't come out as I hope, I would replace the studs.

What length stud do I order?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

A good rethreading die will cost you as much as a few new studs, and it might not even work. Hardened steel doesn't like to cut hardened steel. If you had a lathe you could chuck the stud up and then recut the threads with some carbide chasers but that's certainly not worth the effort.

My advice is buy new studs. With that said, I can measure my spares when I get home and let you know what length you need. I believe it's around 50mm though.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

borrowing a die from work is free, so if it worked that'd be free. if i ruin the studs or just can't do it, i need to buy studs anyways. figured it was worth a shot, just needed to know the thread size.

are wheel studs a dealer thing, or can i order these someplace else?
Old 04-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Hmm, just got home and checked PET and apparently '87 on use different studs for the front than '86 which is what I've got. The rear studs are the same part number though. The '86 studs are 45mm long (from the base of the knurl to the end of the thread not counting the larger head). They are M14 x 1.5mm thread (this will be the same for all years). You should be able to easily measure the length of your studs by just removing the front rotor which will give you access to the full length of the stud. If you can find an identical stud elsewhere, it should be fine. Just make sure the diameter over the knurl is the same as what you've got otherwise it could come loose or ruin your hub.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:51 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

i'll measure the studs next time i'm near the car , probably not till the weekend. in the meantime, i'll look for the die at work, and look for a place that sells wheel studs.

thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

One and only one bump in case someone knows, otherwise I'll have to measure this weekend (would like to order then today...)

Quick Reply: wheel studs on '87