Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is there another car that needs more work to keep it running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:20 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
It does run ok. But the damn clutch slips occasionally. WTF? The clutch pedal stays down occasionally. WTH? These two issues are mutually exclusive too. I have made it to the Malibu County mart car show on Sunday without needing a flatbed tow about 10 times now. The AC works GREAT THO!!!

The List? Forgetaboutit

Mike G.
its funny, on my turbo-s both things happened about the same time.. mine was a really weak pressure plate, disk had plenty of meat. The master cyl also took a crap around the same time… drove the car to work and noticed the clutch pedal getting lower and lower till it was just on the floor.. had to wait till rush hour was over.. and drove the car home shifting without the clutch matching revs… **** just wears out…
Old 10-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
its funny, on my turbo-s both things happened about the same time.. mine was a really weak pressure plate, disk had plenty of meat. The master cyl also took a crap around the same time… drove the car to work and noticed the clutch pedal getting lower and lower till it was just on the floor.. had to wait till rush hour was over.. and drove the car home shifting without the clutch matching revs… **** just wears out…
Yup, the original clutch disc of my '86 had over 130K miles on it, and a decent amount of friction material left, but dome of the damper springs were corroded and fractured and jammed up the clutch while I was driving to work one day.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Well…. It’s like most cars….. if you don’t maintain it properly then your gonna have issues.
Not 100% true. I have a Tundra that has 266,000 miles on it. I have done the timing belt twice. That's it!!!
Actually you proved his point by properly maintaining your Tundra. Try going 266,000 miles without changing the timing belt and let us know how that works out.

The original oil from the factory is still in the Tundra?
The following users liked this post:
Gbos1 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:16 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr
Actually you proved his point by properly maintaining your Tundra. Try going 266,000 miles without changing the timing belt and let us know how that works out.
Properly? I changed the belt at 120K miles on the Tundra not the 30k recommend by Porsche on the 944. And I believe the Tundra belt interval is 90K. Belt still looked brand new. Try that with the 944. haha. My buddy didn't change his oil for something like 30K miles on his Tundra, yeah he's a dumb A$$ but still hilarious. Of course he's only at 200k miles so?????

The 944 is the most finicky automobile I have ever owned. Sure there's probably worse but seriously it's up there in the list of PITA cars. Ever try doing an oil pan gasket on the Turbo? I have a friend that owns a well respected Porsche service shop in Orange County and he says they don't work on the 944. And they never will. haha

Mike G.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:17 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

It’s a relationship car. By the time you’ve owned a 951 for a couple years, you know it inside and out. Or you’re broke.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:44 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It does run ok. But the damn clutch slips occasionally. WTF? The clutch pedal stays down occasionally. WTH? These two issues are mutually exclusive too. I have made it to the Malibu County mart car show on Sunday without needing a flatbed tow about 10 times now. The AC works GREAT THO!!!

The List? Forgetaboutit

Mike G.
Im not sure about the clutch pedal staying down. I have not had that problem yet lol.

Mt clutch slips too… but not a big issue where I live. I’ve reduced a lot of weight in the car which seems to help. Less slippage
Old 10-13-2021, 02:45 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951
Im not sure about the clutch pedal staying down. I have not had that problem yet lol.

Mt clutch slips too… but not a big issue where I live. I’ve reduced a lot of weight in the car which seems to help. Less slippage
Maybe slave cylinder
Old 10-13-2021, 03:05 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glue Guy
It’s a relationship car. By the time you’ve owned a 951 for a couple years, you know it inside and out. Or you’re broke.
Like that taco shell commercial: "Porque no los dos?"

I feel you Mike. For me, the most annoying thing isn't the constant flow of repairs needed (although that's up there), it's the unexpected difficulties in performing said repairs. Like right now I'm in the midst of replacing shifter components, following instructions put out by Kyle at Only944. To remove the shifter, you undo three bolts and then slide it off the shifter rod; something that should take ~30min to do. Bolts came out without issue, but the shifter is *STUCK*. Like isn't budging even when using a small crowbar. So after struggling for a couple hours, I gave up for the night. Or when replacing the reference sensors, discovering that the spacer washer needed for one of them...wasn't there, prompting another part order and delays.
Mike Goebel (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevadarain72
it's the unexpected difficulties in performing said repairs.
Have you tried changing the oil pan gasket yet? That one is a _ton_ of fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Millermatic:
Gbos1 (10-13-2021), Mike Goebel (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Millermatic
Have you tried changing the oil pan gasket yet? That one is a _ton_ of fun.
Don't you put that evil on me!
Gbos1 (10-13-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 PM
Tom_DB1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody seen the same reliability issues with the other models of the 944 (944, S, S2, 968)? My first Porsche was an 1980 924 and it was bulletproof. But before that
I had the British flu (TR3B, TR4A, TR250, TR6, GT6+, TR7) so the 951 doesn't seem so bad except parts cost more. I spend just as much time troubleshooting
as before. The 924 was an nice respite, it just didn't break for 10 years.

Tom
87 951
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 AM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glue Guy
Maybe slave cylinder
I had that exact issue the day I bought my car; clutch went down and only came back up if I pulled it up manually. Definitely slave cylinder.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:47 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I purchased an 86 NA that only had 2 owners and every receipt. Garage kept. I've owned it about 7 years now, knock on wood, only issue has been a bad ECU (had it rebuilt) and bad DME relay. Car was running great but seals where starting to show age, especially rear main seal was leaking bad. During lockdown, I decided to pull the engine and do a complete reseal, new bearings, rebuilt injectors, and sent out the head for rebuild. I felt the car had earned it. Cleaned everything up, new sensors, spark plug wires and plugs, new hoses. Have it back together and running like a top. Should have it back on the ground in the next week or so. Car should run with no issues for another 20 years.

As far as clutch pedal going down to floor and not coming up, had that happen on my 951. Neither master or slave cylinder where leaking. I decided to do a compete fluid flush and issue went away. Not sure if air got into the system or maybe didn't bleed properly the first time.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 944M3
As far as clutch pedal going down to floor and not coming up, had that happen on my 951. Neither master or slave cylinder where leaking. I decided to do a compete fluid flush and issue went away. Not sure if air got into the system or maybe didn't bleed properly the first time.
I've done that 3 times already!!!

Bought new master/slave and hose. That being said PO installed the very same equipment 10 years ago. All the work on that car was done by a reputable independent Porsche shop. So I figured those parts should still be good. This car has been garaged (but driven) for the last 20 years most of the time.

Mike G.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

It ain't no Toyota that's for sure.

But all the 80s Toyotas are in the scrapyard anyway

Go figure
Gbos1 (10-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Is there another car that needs more work to keep it running?