Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:22 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my 951 in key west

hi all,
took the 951 to the southernmost point of the US this past weekend and was sitting at a light there when a guy approached on the passenger side. he kinda stuck his head in and said - '89?'

i was a bit stunned - but said: 'yeah - what do you have?' he said: '86 turbo - you have a great lookin car here'

said he was new jersey - on vacation...

he made my weekend - i would have told him about rennlist, but the light turned green! hopefully he already knows...
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I was a little worried when you said he just stuck his head inside. lol. I would have been like wtf. It's always nice to run into a fellow 951'er. We seem to be few in far between. I have only run into about 6 other 951's out here in Dallas and only one of those was modded. Oh well atleast I know I won't be seein myself anytime soon.

Hey brain how do you like the iceshark with the euro fogs. I have a fog light out and when I get her back from storage I am going to address this issue. I was wanting the eurofog light setup anyways so what do you think about it? How hard was it to install?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Brian,, what no pics ??? ... Hows Miami after DC?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

john - yeah - i was a bit taken aback for a split second when he started towards the car!

the iceshark wiring kit is great. the install was a bit more involved than i had originally thought, but i got thru it ok. the driving portion of the fog/driving lamps are unreal. ESPECIALLY using the direct power lead that dan puts on his wiring kits. get the full-boat kit from him, buy some combo fog/driving lights, put 100w lamps in the driving side and go to town.

the e-code headlights are great, too. dans kit rocks. my girlfriend didn't even know that i had put them in along with the new wiring, and when i picked her up one night, she said she spotted me in traffic way down the street - they looked very 'porsche' she said. money well spent. when you get around to it, lemme know as i have worked out a pretty slick way to wire the driving lights to a stock switch in the cockpit.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:07 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey brian you got my email that i sent you last week?
Old 04-13-2004, 02:40 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

It's now sort of funny to hear these sorts of observations but if you put in the Full Boat headlight package and then take power off the spare pig tail to driving lens 100 watters off the wiring harness you can see well over a mile down the road, getting up towards two miles, though I never walked it off exactly. It was on to winter and I got cold hauling equipment farther and farther out, but it is well over 5400 feet. And a broad spread of lighting. If you see the car coming at you with everything burning you look like a 747 that is about to land on the highway.

Be careful about the Keys, Brian. They are nice but also have some strange attraction to dirtbags, drug types and just plain killers. Boy, could I tell you stories about the characters I met while on my sailboat laying over for a run over to Bahamas and down into Antilles. More or less the entire Monroe County Sheriffs department got fired for various illegal actions. And that is a BIG county. They had to bring a good chunk of the State Patrol in to take over. Mayor of Key West up on drug smuggling and assorted other charges, what a mess. So keep your eyes open when down there!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

stephen- hey, man....miami beach is great anytime - even more-so after DC! we've got a very good thing goin' here and are very happy. oh - and we took a pic of the 951 in front of the 'southernmost point' marker - unfortunately, its on film, so i'll get it up asap.....

shaheed - i did get it - and thought i replied! man, how your life has changed, eh? all for the better, i think, too. glad you still have the 951, even tho i think it frustrates you sometimes! congrats on the baby - oh, and the wife, too!

dan - your kit is amazing, but you knew that. i finally got around to pulling the power for the fogs and driving lights off the pigtail and beefing up the wiring from there to the relays, etc. to be honest, i only run the driving lights when i'm out in the great-wide-open. they are amazing. even the low beam e-codes are fun to turn on! the hard cut-off is great.

they keys - yeah...a very unique place for sure. i hadn't been there for 12-15 years. we started off on saturday morning with the idea that we'd just head south. if we hit heavy traffic, we'd just eat lunch somewhere and turn around. no biggie. traffic wasn't that bad, so we found ourselves in key west by early afternoon. walked right into the pier house and got a nice room and then proceeded to eat and drink the night away. up the next morning and back to miami beach. simple! on the little two-lane, its fun to stretch the 951s legs when passing room allows - picking off 4-5 cars in a shot. heh heh.......

dan - you should be proud of your product.

shaheed, stephen - good to hear from ya...and why haven't i seen you listed before, shaheed - i see you have a lot of posts - how could i have missed you on here. last time i remember, we were both on the email lists - which i no longer frequent....i like the 'real time' aspect of the boards....
Old 04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what did you think of Key West? I was there three months ago, and the tack quotient has gone up a lot since my last visit.

You know things are moving downhill when they build a Ripley's on the main drag, but what can you do?

Did you stop at Robbies marina to feed the tarpon? Best deal in the keys.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Pier House, those jerks! I was anchored off the channel in front of their site when they started construction of the place. There was a spot right west to them that was still public land some old owner that died left to the city/state which you could pull up your dinghy on and go into town.

Which we did one afternoon. And went out drinking all night. As we retrace our steps back to the landing we find Pier House put up a 10 foot high chain link fence in our way that afternoon. Being drunk and not of sound judgement we decided to climb over the fence rather than walk back all the way around it. I was first to the top of the fence and though why not just jump down to the other side which was soft sand, or so I thought.

Turns out the fence construction crew had scraped away most of the sand and there was rock hard coral marl there. I damn near broke my ankle making that 10 foot jump. Actually, I think I probably did. It took about 15 years before that ankle was fully back to normal.

But I guess it was really my fault for being drunk and deciding to jump off a 10 foot high fence at very dark o'clock.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, since Brian won't post pics, here's mine in the S2 from the road trip I did with a high school buddy in 2002 :
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2004, 03:21 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

peckster - yeah - it is pretty tacky. the patrons are very interesting. we were ordering beers at sloppy joes at what we thought was a bargain $4 for 20oz local brew. the couple behind us couldn't believe how expensive the beer was, tho!!! try to find a $4 beer anywhere on south beach....

i can't figure out where the red-neck factor comes in down there. its NOT a dirt-cheap place to vacation.

dan- sorry to hear that i patronized a place that is partially responsible for your physical demise. :-)
they DO have a great chunk of property there - and i had great parking. nothing like an end-spot right in front of the joint. no extra parking charge, either - and no valet to mess with.

luis - thats about it - although they have changed the layout around the marker. there is now a sidewalk where your cab sat in that pic - so that its a pedestrian area surrounding the marker. you can pull up on the curb and get basically the same shot - which i'll post eventually!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peckster
[BYou know things are moving downhill when they build a Ripley's on the main drag, but what can you do?

I thought the Ripley's was replaced by a pharmacy. The Ripley's museum was there from waaaay back, every time I visited the Keys, I swore I was going to go in there and kill an afternoon, well a few years' back my buddies and I decided to visit and it had just been closed! was getting replaced by a Walgreens' I think--oh well, went to the Bull&Whistle instead, got drunk, met some ladies, and ended up retiring to their hotel room for a better time than Ripley's could ever have been.

New Years' in Key West, sun, women, and booze--hard to beat....
Old 04-13-2004, 03:39 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
Did you stop at Robbies marina to feed the tarpon? Best deal in the keys.
not sure if it was robbies marina but i've hand feed the tarpoon before....scary as hell the 1st time. nearly jumped outta my skin when that thing came up!

a must when visiting key west is going to the dry tortugas (decommisioned island prison 90 miles west of key west....where they jailed Dr. Mudd).
Old 04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Hey you flatlanders. I can't think of anythere around here flat enough to see 1-2 miles ahead. You might get close to a mile at best. It makes a world of difference with good lights. I had a pair of high powered lights on my bimmer and it was like night turned to day. It was real helpful here not for the distance but for picking up the animals merging onto the road. Tagging a bear, deer, or elk will really ruin your day in a hurry. Have you posted pics of your car after the new install? Underhood ? Sounds like I need to make that mod to mine.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:40 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

willie - thats the beauty of dans kit - there really IS nothing to show underhood after the install. its all run along factory wiring locations or hidden away nicely. you can really only tell if you look at the headlights reeeeeal close...

Quick Reply: my 951 in key west