Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shaking up front at hwy speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:38 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shaking up front at hwy speeds

While on the hwy my car shakes very bad up front.
Today I put the car up on stands and grabbed the top and bottom of the tire to test to see if the balljts were bad. They seem to be good, I don't see any movmt. But I can see the strut assy and the top of the mount moving (inside the eng comp and in the wheel well). My experience with struts tells me these things should not move. Am I correct in my assesment?
Sounds like I need to put in at the bare min. new strut mts and bumpers.
Thanks,
JR
Old 04-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could very well be the strut mounts. Even so, look at the balljoints again. Use a screwdriver and pry gently between the bottom of the strut and the control arm. Any movement there and you need balljoints. You can do the wheel wiggle test, but it will only show bad ball joints when they're really really bad.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:08 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a small shake at 60+. Wheels are new and balanced at Pirellie dealer, so i just ordered the weltmeister sp200 springs, and EVRYONE recommends replacing struts (especially on high mileage cars) alonge with ALL rubber pieces which include strut mounts, bump stops and seals.......i would say that you MIGHT have struts/strut mounts that are going bad......
Old 04-11-2004, 12:55 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the strut mounts. I had the same issue, replaced the tie rods, steering rack, u joint, ball joints, tires, and got a realignment before figuring out that it was the strut mounts. HTH
Old 04-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking at higer speeds

You might also want to inspect your control arm bushinngs, especially the front ones. I had the same problem and replaced springs, struts, upper mounts, and balljoints. Then duh!! Checked the front bushings and there was lots of slop in there.

Quick Reply: Shaking up front at hwy speeds