Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

valve lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:29 AM
rogerstopford
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve lifters

Hi, After reading up on the hydraulic lifters I thought I'd replace 2 of mine. Got 2 new ones from Porsche ($$$) but they are a little bit different from the old ones. The centre piston is raised on the new ones, but level with the disc thing on the old ones. Plus the new ones are soaked in oil, the little cardboard parts box they came in is soaked in oil, and the plastic bag the box came in is soaked in oil. Is this right? And if I'm going to use these, is there any prep to level that little piston, or do I just put them in and rely on the valve to push the piston into the right place? Appreciate any help from members here. I've read some previous threads here, but just checking. Thank you.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:23 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Considering these lifters are hydraulic, they fill with oil. So in the future if you need to take out the lifters for any reason, keep them submerged in bags/containers with engine oil in them. That way, when you go to start the engine after putting it back together, you won't get that 'ticking' noise these engines make like after sitting for a long time. That sound is the lifters slapping the end of the valves.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:10 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Before I put mine in I usually “prime” them. I put them into a glass jar filled with oil hooked to a vacuum pump.. surprising how much air is pulled out of them.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Before I put mine in I usually “prime” them. I put them into a glass jar filled with oil hooked to a vacuum pump.. surprising how much air is pulled out of them.
That's a great idea. And much less stinky than my usual method of heating up an oil bath and manually pumping the lifter pistons until they offer resistance.

Quick Reply: valve lifters