Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new engine almost ready

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:35 PM
atinybug
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine almost ready

Ok, it's been a while (actually a very long while, like 1.5 years) since my car has worked, and now the engine is almost done. I noticed a few posts about winter storage where the car hasn't been run for a while, and I'm wondering if i should go thru any of these steps. The battery was not disconnected the past 1.5 years, and I think there was about half a tank of gas in it before I blew my motor, so I'm guessing the fuel has degraded? All belts and fluids and such are brand new and replaced, so nothing to worry about there. My battery is likely dead so I'll probably just charge it or something, and should I drain all the fuel out and replace or just add more fresh fuel? And is there anything else I should do?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:51 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Dunno on the fuel issue, someone did tell me though that you lose about 3 octane points per month...
Anyway, glad your car is almost done!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

I am going through the same thing right now. Get rid of the fuel. I am using the fuel pump to pump the old fuel right out. Just disconnect the hose from the fuel damper and connect a suitable hose that will reach a container. Put power to fuse # 34 and your set. The battery will not likely take a charge if it has been sitting that long connected to the car. You will most likely need to replace it. If it does take a charge, it won't last long. The best thing is just to get rid of it and buy a new one. You will also most likely want to change the brake fluid. Since the car has been sitting, water will most likely be in the system, and you need to get that out. Brake fluid attracts water, and water in the brakes is a very bad thing. I am having to replace the master cylinder on mine. I also found some things like leaking fuel hose from the filter to the pipe. Anything like that will have to be replaced. Good luck!!!

Ian

Quick Reply: new engine almost ready